Chapter 27. Farewell

Start from the beginning

Her words gripped my heart and squeezed it.

"The more you yearn, the more you hurt..." For a moment, she had a pained expression. "And the more you hurt, the more you break. It is simply a neverending cycle that is meant to tire you of life."

I looked up to her, my whole face still wet with tears. "Then what do you suggest I do, my lady?"

Her eyebrows met. "Forget about him."

"That's impossible." I buried my face on her lap helplessly. "I've already had a taste of the forbidden fruit. There's no turning back."

"Then you can only live through that pain." Her ladyship told me bluntly. "We are not the same. Unlike you, I am extremely selfish and I dislike pain, so I abandoned any fantasy about love."

Such strong words were to be expected from a villainess, but when I saw the sad look on her face, I realised that she didn't choose this unforgiving path without paying dearly for it.

I couldn't even imagine what she had to abandon and what she had to sacrifice, in order to survive the plot of this novel. Today, she still stands as a winner after managing to stay alive... but Lady Ruth Alessia di Camellia wasn't happy at all.

At some point, she must've loved someone, too.

And her ladyship also had her heart broken like this when she realised that they can't be together.

"Have you finally calmed down, Isabelle?"

"Yeah," I sniffed. "Thank you, my lady."

She scoffed. "I barely did anything."

"You did lend me your thick thighs to cry on."

"Ah," She smirked. "Yes. I'm wet thanks to you."

Oh, gosh. Here we go again with the dirty jokes.

I got back on my feet and kept my distance from Lady Camellia, afraid she might turn her teasing from verbal to physical. Her jests are too much.

She's too beautiful to refuse. Hell, even if my heart was already taken by a man, I'm not confident that I can resist the temptation. Milfs for the win, heh.

"By the way, our beloved heroine invited me for tea as a token of gratitude for lending her a dress."

My lips parted. "J-Just the two of you?"

"Uh-huh." She grinned triumphantly.

I bit my nails. "Did you accept her invitation?"

"Of course. Wasn't that my goal all this time, to befriend her and avoid raising my death flag?"

I screamed out of nowhere, which startled her.

"No! I'm against this, my lady!" I angrily marched towards her and lashed out. "Over my dead body!"

She was weirded out by my outburst. "W-Why are you getting angry all of the sudden? Calm down."

"I told you, that girl is dangerous!" I pulled my hair in frustration. "Didn't I say that she attacked me that night? Don't you believe me, my lady?!"

"Look, it's not that I don't believe you." She averted her gaze from me, scratching her cheek. "But it's hard to take your words seriously when Ingrid trembles like a newborn every time we meet."

"She's just acting!" I insisted. "It's the devil!"

"Heh, again with that nonsense." Lady Camellia massaged her temples. "She's the protagonist, Isabelle. Who are you calling a devil?"