Twenty

⚠️TW//High⚠️

25 Weeks..?

"Hey, what's going on?" Ashton pokes his head into the room, frowning as he realizes Elodie isn't there.

"They took her back into emergency surgery. I couldn't ask Crystal or Mike to come back, they've done so much already. But I can't be alone, I don't know what's happening and the doctor was talking about needing a miracle when they wheeled her back out in a hurry." Luke sighs, looking up from the floor where he's been staring since getting off the panicked phone call that had brought Ashton to his side tonight.

"Crystal said she was doing okay when they picked up Indy Kay. What happened?" Ashton asks again, sitting down on the small couch beside Luke carefully.

"She was, she even woke up. We were talking, and I was singing to the baby, and then El suddenly panicked and went pale. Both her and the baby's vitals were spiking and dropping all over the place. They nurse ran in, and then another, and then the doctor came in. Something about blood somewhere, and they didn't know where it was coming from either. They were yelling about calling blood banks and El has some weird blood mutation or something... so finding blood that will work is going to be tricky. I don't even know all of what's going on. They were all panicked though, and I don't know if I just watched my family leave the room for the last time." Luke breaks suddenly. The entire night seems to catch up to him finally as he'd sat alone in this room.

"They're both going to be okay, Luke." Ashton's voice is soft as he pulls Luke into his side, "They have to be okay. No way you lose your girls tonight. No way."

"I want to believe that, but she was all here, and then she was just gone, and I watched her pass out from whatever was happening in her body. I'm scared, Ashton."

"How far along is El in the pregnancy, Luke?"

"Almost twenty-six weeks." Luke answers quickly.

"Okay," Luke looks up as he sees Ashton doing something on his phone, confused by what is happening for a moment. "Some slightly good news, if need be that baby could be born tonight and she'd have a high chance of survival. That alone should give you some hope, if things are going south, they could take the baby out to help save both their lives."

"I'd rather her stay in a few more months, but I'd take anything at this point, just to keep them both alive. We were planning the wedding at dinner, literally hours ago, I can't believe that was less than twelve hours ago, that life was totally normal then, and now... Now it could be different for the rest of my life."

"It won't be, Luke. They'll get through this." Ashton tries, both of them looking up as a knock comes at the door.

"Mr. Hemmings?" A new nurse pokes her head in, smiling sympathetically at them.

"Ya."

"I was asked to inform you that an employee here in the hospital has matched for the blood type your fiancée needed. She is down in the lab donating a double unit as we speak. The doctor is hoping that will be more than enough, they have Elodie in surgery and are searching for the source of the bleeding currently. I will let you know if they send any other news."

"Someone matched her blood type and mutation?" Luke asks, hardly believing the news.

"By some miracle, yes." She smiles at him.

"Thank you. And any news you have, we would love to hear it as quickly as possible. It's been a rough night for my brother here." Ashton responds as Luke buries his face into his hands, his shoulders shaking with sobs.

"I will keep you updated as they update me. If things get difficult in the operating room it could be multiple hours. If possible, try to rest. If there is news I will wake you. No news usually means good news in this case. And you'll probably want to be awake when they get her back here."