"You'll see him again soon enough."

Walking to the train station feels like he's walking the gallows or something.

Okay, maybe a tad dramatic, but Nick really doesn't want to say goodbye. He wants nothing more than to keep Charlie in his shitty little single bed for the rest of the term until they can come home for the summer together, but sadly that isn't an option. Charlie has A-levels to study for and Nick has a couple of exams coming up. He doesn't need more than 40% to pass the year, so he's not that stressed, but he knows Charlie is a little bit stressed.

He finds himself walking slowly, too slowly for someone who has a lecture in a couple of hours and could really do with doing the required reading before he goes, but he's really reluctant for the happy bubble of the weekend to burst.
And Charlie seems just as reluctant to leave, chattering a mile a minute about how much he doesn't want to go because he hates the train and he hates revising and he won't be able to think about anything about how much fun he has with Nick and how little fun he has at home without him.

"Why do I even need to do exams when I know you'd let me stay up here anyway?" he mutters, smacking his head off Nick's shoulder as they wait at a pedestrian crossing. "I could cook and clean for you and the rest of the house."
Nick snorts. "You'd hate that, sweetheart. And anyway, you're going to be the one that becomes a doctor or something."
"A doctor?" Charlie blinks at him. "Nick, I'm studying Music."
"A PhD or something," Nick says with a shrug. "When we're old and grey, you're going to be the one with the good job making all the money because you're the smart one."
"You think?"
"I know," Nick corrects.

They come to a slow halt outside the station, footsteps getting smaller as they approach the entranceway. "You're going to ace your exams, Char." He takes both of his hands in his. "Fucking hell. Next time I see you, your exams will be over. How cool is that?"
"That's so tragic," Charlie moans. "This isn't fair, actually. When you were doing your exams, I was right there bringing you Red Bull and making cue cards with you. You're a bloody million-hour train journey away now it's my turn."
"I'm so sorry," Nick says, then pulls him in for a proper hug. "I'm only a FaceTime away though. It might not work for the cue cards, but I can offer supportive words and motivations and shit like that."
"You better," Charlie grumbles. "God. I'm really going to miss you."
Nick's heart clenches. "I'm going to miss you so fucking much," he whispers. "I can't believe you're going home."
"Me neither," Charlie says with a shake of his head. "It doesn't feel like I've been here for long enough to be leaving already."
"Maybe, hopefully, your train will be delayed or cancelled or something and you'll have no choice but to come back with me," Nick says wistfully.

It's not the case, of course. For the first time in the history of National Rail, the cross country train from Leeds to Kings Cross is running on time, which means they only have ten minutes left together before they're apart for over a month. They spend seven of those ten minutes just holding each other, then they reluctantly pull apart so Charlie can get on board and get a seat.

"I miss you already," he whimpers as Nick squeezes him almost painfully tightly before he reluctantly lets him go. "I love you."
"I love you, baby. Char."
"Love you so much."

Nick darts forward and gives Charlie one last, lingering kiss before he steps back. If he doesn't force space between them, he's not sure Charlie will ever get on the train. "Be good, yeah?"
"I'll try. Bye." Charlie looks like he's in some sort of physical pain as he steps onto the train, shuffling out of view down into the carriage before he reappears at a window seat.

He presses a hand against the window and Nick raises his own hand as if to press their palms together through the glass.
"Love you," Charlie mouths again as the train doors beep and close, then only a few moments later the train begins to move.
"Love you," Nick mouths back as he watches Charlie and the train disappear from view.