You're very protective of him

He has no idea how long they dance for; after a while, all the songs begin to blur together into one, as do the drinks. He's sticky and sweaty and so is Charlie, his curls falling lower and lower into his face the sweatier he gets. It's boiling hot in there, to the point where even Charlie has rolled up his sleeves a bit, and Nick thinks it might do them some good to get some air.

"I want a cigarette," he announces after a bit. He steps into Charlie's space and tightens his grip on him, tugging him forward so he can plant a sloppy kiss to the corner of his mouth. "Would you still love me if I had a ciggy?"
"Can I try one?" Charlie's little face lights up. "I've never tried one."
"Surely you have." Nick pulls back and stares at Charlie, brows furrowed. "Seriously never?"
Charlie shrugs. "Seriously never."
"Well, yeah," Nick says. "I'd rather you tried one with me, I suppose. I'm worried you won't like it."

Charlie pushes playfully at his face. "Shut up. This is like how you thought I wouldn't like coffee, isn't it?"
Nick holds up a defensive hand and puffs out his cheeks. "I worry about you all the time, what can I say?"
"You can stop worrying and give me a cigarette," Charlie laughs, jumping up on his tiptoes and kissing him again. "Come on."

They spin around to see Claire making a gesture to the larger group about heading to the smoking area, waving around an invisible cigarette and nearly spilling her drink everywhere. They all traipse outside and the cold evening air hits them like a wall, both brilliant and biting at the same time.
Nick hadn't quite realised how much he's sweating until Charlie starts to mop at his brow with the sleeve of his shirt.
"Gross," he chuckles, pushing the hand not shoved in the back pocket of Charlie's trousers to push his hair out of his face.

"Does anyone have a cigarette I can buy off them?"
"Yeah, me too," Ben asks, pulling a packet out of his pocket and groaning when it comes up empty. "Fuck's sake, I meant to pop to Tesco and completely forgot."
"I'll sell you lads a packet for fifteen quid," a stranger pipes up behind them. They're wearing a sparkly jumpsuit with a deep V that shows their entire chest right down to their belly button, and Nick watches with a mix of shock and amusement as they pull a carton, still wrapped and everything, out of seemingly nowhere. "I'm going home in a minute so you're welcome to them."
"Fuck yeah," Ben says, scrabbling to pull out his wallet. "Get me a drink and we're even, dear Nicholas."

"Deal." Nick plonks himself down on one of the picnic tables and crosses his legs, pulling Charlie into his lap. "Pass them round, there's a good lad."

"Shall I just try a drag of yours?" Charlie asks. "I don't want to waste a whole one."
"I'm sure it would get smoked," Nick says. "But I'm still not convinced you'll like it very much, love."
"Wait," Ben says as he joins them, offering the carton out to Nick. "You've never smoked before?" Charlie shakes his head. "Jesus Christ. What kind of fucking sixth form did you two go to?"
"A normal one," Nick insists. He pops the cigarette between his lips and waits for Ben to pass him the lighter. "My Charlie's just a good boy, aren't you?"
"You're a gross boy," Ben replies dryly. "Here, come here, Charlie. Nick's only a social smoker so let me show you how it's done."
"You suck," Nick calls after them, snorting as Charlie gets moved to the picnic table next to them, and all his flatmates start fussing around him, showing him how to light and inhale the smoke at the same time.

He grins and takes a drag, leaning his head back and blowing smoke into the air. "Look after him, will you? Don't laugh at him if he chokes!"
"He's eighteen, not fucking eight," Ben calls back, waving two fingers in Nick's direction.

Nick shakes his head and pulls his phone out of his pocket, ready to take some pictures to send to the guys back home, but he ends up just watching for a little bit. Charlie looks bemused by all the attention, and he only splutters a little bit through his first drag, which makes Nick feel stupidly proud.