s. 5 ep. 12 The Nublar Seven... Part 2

Start from the beginning

"Well, yeah. But the pain I'm in makes me not give a fuck." I replied, opening the cabinet below the shelf, and looking for shot glasses. I found some... accompanied by a sticky note. "What the...?"

I grabbed two glasses and the sticky note and put them on the table.

The note read: "Dear, (y/n). Stop trying to get alcohol. I will find out. Sincerely, Brooklynn. :)"

"Jesus Christ," I swore, ignoring the note and taking the top of the bottle off.

Kenji chuckled. "She's on to you, man."

"Tell me about it," I said. "I feel like she knows me better than I know myself some days."

"Yeah," Kenji said, smiling sadly as I poured two drinks.

I slid him a drink. "You know, stepping up to your dad was pretty badass of you."

Kenji shook his head. "I'm sorry for what I did. I just... I always wanted him to be proud of me and... I got lost in trying to get him to... care about me..." He trailed off before quickly downing the drink. He grunted. "Strong shit." He said.

I nodded, placing two pills under my tongue and downing them with the tequila. "Oh, fuck you weren't kidding." I coughed.

"I wish I could do it over again and remind myself who my real friends are." He continued.

"Don't beat yourself up, man," I said. "We... I can't believe I'm saying this. We forgive you. You fucked up... then... you made up for it I guess."

He chuckled. "I'll take that. Better than you guys never talking to me again."

"If it were that easy to get rid of you, we'd have done it a long time ago," I said.

Kenji laughed. "Alright, let's get back to the others." He said, putting his glass down and walking toward the exit.

I stuffed the pill bottle in my pocket and followed him before he stopped. "What's wrong, bud?" I asked.

Kenji didn't respond. He just bent down... and picked up a yellow flower. "Hey, (y/n)." He said, staring at the yellow flower.

"Yeah," I asked, looking at his back.

...

"How do you... feel about Brooklynn?"

I was silent, not knowing exactly how to respond. "What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well... I don't know. I guess the others and I had our theories before... you know."

I looked at him, utterly confused. "Where the hell are you going with this?"

He turned and sighed. "I think she really likes you, (y/n). I mean, like, li-"

"Yes. I understand what you're implying." I interrupted.

"Ok." He said. "Look, I just... You don't have to worry about me being involved... again. I just..."

"What the hell are you... did you break it off with Brooklynn?" I asked, perplexed.

He sighed. "Not officially. We haven't had time to talk yet. But even if we did and, somehow, she took me back, I... I can barely live with myself when I remember what I did... especially to her. I fucked up. I can't put her through that again if I..."

"You won't do that again, Kenji. Have some belief in yourself, man."

He smiled sadly and looked me in the eye. ""I'm sorry for taking her from you. I wasn't really trying to either. I just... wanted to make someone happy like you make them happy. I don't wanna get in the way of you guys being happy. And she'll be... really happy with you." He held out the flower to me.