• CHAPTER 32 •

Start from the beginning

"Perfect, even if your experiences are not very rich, we will take you but you need to prove yourself very fast if we take you," the assistant smiled. I forced a smile back hating every word she said. Someone called her on the phone, "yes sir," she paused, "yes sir." She hung the phone up and looked at me. "Mister Rob wants to interview you himself." Thank God!

She took me to his office, knocked and opened the door.

"Common in Talia." He welcomed me with a warm smile. I walked in. "Take a seat," he pointed at the chair in front of his desk. "Get us something to drink," he looked at the assistant then back at me. "It is so nice to meet you Talia."

"It is nice to meet you too, mister–" I looked around for anything to show me his last name but the only thing I saw was Rob.

"You can call me Rob. I am keeping my name short for people," he chuckled and I smiled. "You know I knew your dad huh?" He asked and I nodded. "He was the sweetest man ever." He paused when the woman came in with a tray in her hand, she placed a juice glass in front of me and a coffee mug in front of him. It looked like she knew what he would like to drink without asking. He quickly took a sip despite the hotness that showed in the smoke that was flying out of the mug. "He helped me so much to start my business. I gained so much money because of his brilliant ideas."

"If you have that much money then why do you still work in illegal things?" I spit out, regretting the words when my eyes met his. I expected him to get offended, or at least tell me that there wasn't a job for me here anymore, but he simply smiled.

"I will tell you," he took another sip of his mug then placed it down, "before being the Rob you see," he waved around with his arm, "I was Rob, the simple guy who used to work with Frank in small things, going to the ports and make sure that the stuff went in or out safely." He breathed. "And then after a while, I started to get to acquaintance the people there because they knew I was working with Frank and they all respected him so much. He was sweet to everyone. and then with the money I kept taking from Frank I built the company you see from scratch and little by little it is the company you see today, one of the most known companies of import and exports in the U.S. Which means that now I know more people at the ports. So I still make sure that the SP comes in safely but in a more professional way."

"But you don't need the money anymore, why are you still doing something illegal when you have good legal money?" I pressed on the question I asked earlier that he ignored and he laughed.

"You sure ask a lot of questions," he pointed at me, "just like your dad."

I softly smiled. He also did remind me of my dad, the laugh when he didn't want to answer a question, the sweet comments he gave me to make me feel better, everything reminded me of him.

"Your dad was a crazy person," he smiled and crossed his arms, leaning back in his chair, "when we were little, he used to have whatever he wanted but he was never showing off about it. He would find a job and drag me with him. He would have money and help me make my own too. He was never selfish. He was always thinking of other people." He looked up, remembering my dad making my heart ache at his soft words. "You know, we were college friends?"

"Really?"

He nodded. "We used to be roomates. He was studying to be a pharmacist. He wanted to be a doctor but couldn't. I was studying marketing too, just like you. But I wasn't doing well. He would study all day and night and I would go out, drink and have fun. He graduated before me and started working in a medical company. He talked to his boss and found a job for me too in there, even if I wasn't a graduate. We moved in together out of the compus. He was focing me to graduate still even when I had stable income. And I did. When he left the company I left too. He even told me to stay but how could I leave him?" He let out a small laugh, "he told me to wait though. He went and gathered boys, boys who needed help to survive and taught them a way to bring money and survive."