Chapter 22

After dancing with the group of younger girls for a bit, Sarah moved over to the drink table. She was feeling a bit exhausted again from the socializing and dancing, and the crowd in general. Looking back at the girls, Sarah was happy to see them enjoying themselves. She had been too, until stepping away from the group. Now, Sarah was back to worrying about Ryan and what the point was of bringing her here. With her anxiety starting to increase, she didn't notice Leo coming up beside her until he started talking.

"That was pretty nice of you."

"What?" Sarah was thrown off since her mind was wandering...again.

"Getting those girls onto the dance floor." She nodded as he continued, "Especially since you were hiding over there yourself. Too much?" Leo asked as he waved his hand around to the crowded dance floor and everyone else watching the scene from groups or the far walls.

"Yeah. I'm not really use to this kind of socializing, this kind of crowd. It tends to make me really self-conscious and worried that I am not 'acting' right." Sarah had no clue why she was opening up to him at this point. She thought back to gym class months ago, when Leo had lashed out at her. Now she was telling him things she tended to bottle up.

"I get you. My fall back was lashing out and picking fights, instead of blending into the background. We find ways to deal with our issues...my dad was/is more physical, I assume your dad is more verbally abusive?"

Sarah turned and stared at him, mouth agape that he outright said it. "Uh...um. What? Uh...how?"

"Putting together what you have let slip, your social awkwardness and anxiety, things Ryan has mentioned, and seeing some of myself in you..."

Sarah nodded, not knowing what to say at that moment.

"You have come out of you shell a lot, it's good to see, kid. Don't let Ryan being a dumbass bother you too much. He and Dylan tend to act this way at parties."

Sarah looked at him questioningly.

Leo continued "...watch the entertainment as girls try to get their attention, then pick one girl to play with for the night. I know Ryan is only doing the first part, watching the entertainment, but he will learn that if he keeps that up he will lose you."

"He doesn't have me though. It's not like we are dating, he just brought me to the dance."

"Yet..." Leo added softly before distracting Sarah with a change in the conversation. "ugh, my date is stalking me again. Let's dance." Without waiting for her to respond, Leo pulled her onto the dance floor. Sarah was surprised for a second, but started in on dancing when they reached the group. She noticed that Abby looked a bit surprised as well. Sarah wasn't sure why though.

After a bit, Sarah felt like someone was watching her. Looking over, Sarah noticed Ryan watching her and almost brooding on the sidelines of the dance. Some of the cheerleaders and their friends were still nearby and Dylan looked to be chatting to at least one of them, along with a couple other athletes.

As the song ended, the whole group gravitated over towards the exit. As Sarah stood awkwardly, plans were being made to go to an afterparty. Leo grabbed her hand and pulled her back over to where Ryan was standing, glaring in her direction. Sarah wasn't sure what she had done wrong now. While she was debating her latest social snafu, Leo gave Ryan a hard look and moved away a bit.

As Sarah looked on, the party was moved to another house, since Dylan refused to have everyone in the group over to his place. Then things moved into a debate over who was driving which passengers went with which car. The group moved outside as people began to split off.