4. Polly: Chapter Four

Start from the beginning

Polly thought of the voice at the end of her vision. She pondered if her father was the only entity looking for the children. After all, how could he have shown her what happened after his death? She shook the thought, too much thinking would lead to too many questions that would rival Henry's question count. After a pause she suddenly realised Henry was leaving, "Where are you going?"

Henry turned to face her, he had removed his goggles again, "To the docks of course. Let's go."

"Now?" Polly yelped.

"Unless you want to stop for a pot of tea while the small ones suffer more torment. Yes now," Henry said with emphasis on the sarcasm.

Polly began to follow after him, "You don't have to be so crass. I also want to see those children safe."

"Then let's go see to it that they are."

Polly paused, "What about my father?"

Henry turned back again. "Don't suppose he'd be willing to come along?"

"Is that possible?" Polly asked with a glimmer of hope.

"I don't know. What I do know is, as his therapist, I am going to complete his task, then I am going to help him crossover."

"You are a strange man indeed, Dr Neville." Polly muttered to herself as she left the factory with the geist therapist.

"I will call for a hackney," Henry said as they stepped out of the gate and into the street.

"This gate was locked." Polly replied.

Ignoring her, Henry continued. "I have more questions I would like to put to you regarding your vision."

Polly was still intrigued by the open gate, "There's no way that should have opened freely."

"It's just a gate, like doors, they open and close," Henry said suddenly. "Now, your father showed you exactly where the children are, yes?"

Polly sighed, "Not exactly. My father had already been... Had already passed over by that point. I don't know what happened next but I was still the other man, Bill his name, and Mallory was the kidnapper. We were travelling to the docks when I..." She stopped.

"When you woke up," Henry finished.

"Yes. There was another voice, but I did not see the person it belonged to. She said she could help me get back here."

Henry was listening intently, "Then what happened?"

"Well, then I was back in the factory with you of course."

Henry could hardly believe his luck. This latest case was opening up all kinds of study opportunities, alongside new experiences. Most of his 'clients' were very easy to talk to and send over. A few were being tricky and needed that little electrifying push. They were usually the bad ones though that did no good in life and planned to do more ill now they were deceased but still active. Never did he believe he would witness the connection between living and death as he had seen with Polly and her father. This would prove to be extraordinary data in his pursuit for paranormal knowledge.

The new companions walked south towards the docks. Henry looked up and down the street, determined to spot a carriage to take them the full distance.

"Not many people venture here while the factory is closed," Polly said doubtfully.

"It seems not," Henry replied dryly. "I don't want to leave my equipment behind for too long so I'd rather not walk if it can be helped."

Polly eyed the box he carried suspiciously, "What is in the box you carry?"