𝟎𝟎𝟏 . 𝗰𝗮𝗹𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗴

「 ✦ 𝐖𝐀𝐑𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 ✦ 」
𝗧𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗯𝗼𝗼𝗸 𝗰𝗼𝗻𝘁𝗮𝗶𝗻𝘀 𝗺𝗮𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗺𝗲𝘀, 𝗶𝗻𝗰𝗹𝘂𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘃𝗶𝗼𝗹𝗲𝗻𝗰𝗲, 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗹𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗴, 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗺𝗶𝗹𝗱 𝘀𝘄𝗲𝗮𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴. 𝗜𝗳 𝘆𝗼𝘂'𝗿𝗲 𝘂𝗻𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗳𝗼𝗿𝘁𝗮𝗯𝗹𝗲 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝘀𝗲 𝘁𝗼𝗽𝗶𝗰𝘀, 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗺𝗮𝘆 𝗹𝗲𝗮𝘃𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗯𝗼𝗼𝗸.

[ 18 years old ]

A month ago, before even your days at school became busy, you walked out that evening with April, and she introduced her friend, Casey, to you. You recognized his figure from the picture that was taken by your classmate a few months ago―maybe years ago, but not that long ago―and from that day, when the alien race almost invaded this planet and caused huge destruction in the city.

It was a relief to you that the worst didn't happen, and thanks to these so-called NYC heroes. You haven't seen their faces yet, and they were the talk of the town after that incident.

"The city has always been awake." Your thoughts were interrupted as you heard Casey's voice. Oh, yes. April left you with him for a moment, since she told you two that she would deal with something.

"Hm, yeah. I've heard you were from the future?" you asked, trying to make a conversation to break the silence that you had earlier.

"You might not believe it, but yes." Casey nervously smiled.

"That's too good to be true." You nodded. "What is the future like?" you asked, and you could already see the way his expression changed downward as the memory flashed before him.

"Well, it's..." he sighed before he continued, "It's terrifying―more deadly than what happened in previous years."

"Is it still caused by those aliens?"

"Yeah," Casey confirmed, "but I'm glad that it's fine for now. It won't happen again in the future. We changed it," he added. We? So, could he also be one of those NYC heroes?

You'd like to ask a question again; however, it might sound too much, and it was a shame to bring it back. After all, the city was saved, and that was something to think about.

"Agreed. We could treasure these kind of times." You smiled, and you looked up at the dark sky with twinkles scattering above; it had always been sickening to your eyes. Damn, where was April? You didn't want to be an awkward talker.

The sky heard you, and there was April, launched in front of the two of you like a badass.

"Surprise! April O'Neil is back!" April greeted her as she spun her... Was that a green, flaming bat?

You cocked an eyebrow in confusion while Casey looked at her with his guard up as if he would fight, but that fell when he realized it was only her. "Why has it a flame?" you inquired. These two of your companions were still mysterious to you.

She noticed what you saw and quickly hid it behind her back, as if to conceal the glow.

"You're a good secret keeper, aren't ya?" April grinned as a bead of sweat rolled down her forehead. As long as that bat wouldn't destroy anything, everything was fine to be kept a secret.

"I think so," you replied. You weren't sure if you were, but some secrets were unnecessary to spread.

"I'll take that as a yes, sis. So, are you still up for the arcade, huh?" April exclaimed as she put the bat into her bat bag.

And with that, the three of you walked somewhere near the arcade here, while April, well, she was your bestie, so she would cling to your arm as you walked. You get used to her friendly and energetic demeanor, and it was pleasant to know you had a friend like her who could brighten your day.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

You were now playing a shooting game in the arcade machine on your own with an actual engaging gun, and you felt like a cool teenager, despite the fact that you seemed stressed and drained. Anyway, it wasn't so bad to have fun and feel cool.

You grinned to yourself as you finished the game with a high score. Finally, a success after a year of playing to practice getting these points. Before you even put the gun in its holster, you heard April cheer for you.

"And there's our shooting game champion! Going by the name of (Y/N)!" April cheered you on as she was recording you on the phone, while Casey was grinning behind her as he watched the two of you.

"Oh, no." You chuckled as you covered her camera lens with your hand, but April dodged it.

"No camera shy here." April smirked as she adjusted the phone in place. "What can you say about your game tonight, missy?" she asked while still smiling and recording you. You sighed happily, trying not to laugh that much because of all your bliss with your buddies tonight.

"It was an awesome feeling to receive a high score for fun, and this game will always hold a special place in my heart," you replied as your fingers tapped on the machine.

"You heard it, everyone! That was a great achievement!" April concluded, and her camera now turned to Casey. "How about you, Mr. Jones? What are your thoughts about tonight's arcade?" she asked as she adjusted the focus of her camera.

You smiled behind her as you observed these two talking and recording. Casey's a bit awkward, but the confidence already got him, and his little speech went smoothly.

Then, you looked around for a while in the dark pitch room surrounded with vibrant neon lights from machines to walls, and you watched the others play, and your eyes were entertained by the way they did their own business in the arcade until they landed into a distinct figure from all of the people around here. You narrowed your eyes and saw something. No. Someone is in the corner of the wall.

The eyes appeared blank; there were no pupils, and the arcade surrounding a dim light in the corner made you notice that this someone's skin color was slightly different. You had already questioned what you saw, but shivers ran down your spine as you realized someone was staring at you. That someone did not resemble a human figure at all.

You snapped back to reality after hearing April call you again while her camera was facing you. "(Y/N), it's your turn for me to take you a picture! Don't move!" April informed, but the shutter was clicked before you even put down her phone.

"Stop the camera," you mumbled as you looked back at the corner and saw that someone was gone. Your eyes were darting around the place, and you felt your heartbeat racing rapidly as if it were telling you something around was dangerous.

"Huh? Why?" April asked, and she looked back at the camera, frowning. "I told ya not to move. Look, it's blurry." She chuckled as she took a look at the photo, while Casey leaned in to look as well until his eyebrows furrowed in curiosity.

"It looks like there's a figure behind," Casey commented.

"Where?" April asked, confused about what he said. You went beside them and looked at the picture they were talking about. Casey was already pointing at the figure as April zoomed in to get a better view of the image.

Oh.

Possibly a mutant?