Chapter 21: Clashing Interest

There was a reason why Ayaz didn't love his life in the palace

Other than a certain person who caused the death of the only person who cared about him, Ayaz wasn't fond of the trouble that came with his title. The boring meetings with high-profile men who spoke of empty promises. The lonely atmosphere that the palace had all the time, and the empty part of himself that his mother carved out of him ever since her passing. In the palace's pristine walls, there was nothing but nothingness that filled everything in between. And then there were the banquets.

To say that he didn't love them was nothing compared to the ill feeling he felt whenever his father held lavish feasts to flaunt whatever he wanted to show to people. Everything about those parties felt fake. From the smiles that showed too many teeth, to the greetings that were thrown around as if they were sand, Ayaz hated all of it. If he could, he would kill everyone who gave him those stupid grins or foolish wishes.

A crowd of dressed-up women flocked to him the moment he entered the palace's reception area. The place, which usually had many majlis and few to no people, was now filled with tables holding foodstuffs from cuisines all over the Pillar Nations. Visitors coming from all over Zecaj and its allies idled around, chatting and eating with everyone else and having a good time.

Except for him.

Just like every other room in the Golden Palace, hanging lamps provided light even after the sun had set. Rare flora dotted every corner of the place, blessing them with their pleasant fragrances and bursts of color. Soft Naayiki rugs ran beneath their feet, which felt like walking on feathers with every step. More gold had decorated the walls than ever before, and Ayaz didn't even think that was possible.

He had to admit, it all looked beautiful to the eye. The fact that Badriya had prepared it in a few days' time-even less, as he heard-made it even more impressive. Perhaps for once, a celebration like this wasn't so bad-

"Amiri." Fingers snapped in front of him, out of his reverie. "Amiri!"

Ayaz blinked, focusing back on one of the women ogling him. "Hm?"

The lady batted her lashes. "Has anyone told you how handsome you are?"

"Of course everyone tells him that! And he already knows it!" Another woman pushed the first one aside, then turned to him with a wickedly sweet smile. She wore a dress too sheer for his liking and boasted a face that saw better days. "Amiri, these other girls are too shallow for you. Why don't we go somewhere quiet and perhaps... talk?"

Ayaz wore his normal mask, an expression that betrayed no smile or frown. "No, thank you. I'll be going to the tables to taste a few things."

"Oh? I'm in the mood to eat as well!" The girl trailed her fingers toward his neck, teasing him. "In fact, I can give you something better. If you follow me-"