Chapter 37: Real Monsters, Part Two

Mulai dari awal

These fairies were monsters. It was as if the Church's lies had come true. Monsters who preyed on others, following a cruel and evil Lord. Jasper clapped her hands together, turning her head to the skies. "Come on out, boys and girls! It's showtime!"

The loud hum rippled through the air, thousands of tiny figures flying from the alleys, joining into a massive swarm that nearly blocked out the moon. Thousands of fairies, floating behind their leaders. Jasper crossed her arms in front of her chest, a cocky smirk worn on her small and pale face. Her ego was showing again, looking down on them with her nose turned up.

"I'm not just any fairy, though," she snickered. "I'm the biggest, baddest bitch around. I'm really smart, you know. IQ of one hundred and fifty-nine."

"And I have one of forty!" Sapphire blasted. Tourmaline looked disappointed.

"Please don't be proud of that..."

Yin swallowed the bile in his throat, his katana gleaming in the moonlight. "... Never thought I'd meet someone more stupid than my brother," he muttered. Jasper snapped her fingers, the fairies lunging forward. Tiny weapons, yet none infused with Dust. His katana tore through the swarm, killing the fairies by the dozen. But despite the adventurers slaughtering their enemies, the fairies didn't even flinch. Almost immediately they were overwhelmed by sheer numbers, tiny teeth biting down.

Salem covered her neck immediately, gritting her teeth when she felt the skin on her fingers being chewed off. They would reach the bone if it kept up. In an instant, a burst of Light drove the fairies back with cries of confusion. Yin was using his magic in a desperate attempt to survive. The healer was wounded, the leather on his leggings torn open to expose the bite marks. If he hadn't used his magic, they'd have been eaten alive.

He didn't have any recovery time. A foul stench assaulted him, the chainsaw burying deep into his shoulder, sawing through his armor with ease. Sapphire's eyes were wide with thrill, enjoying the heat of a challenge.

"Mine, mine, mine! I want this one!" She squealed. Yin gritted his teeth, punching the fairy away with his knuckles. Focusing his miracles, he managed to close the wound she left behind. It would tear open if he moved it too much, but that wasn't his choice. He charged Sapphire, his katana meeting her chainsaw. Sapphire laughed and giggled like a kid at a playground, her chainsaw moving like a blur, blocking every single one of his attacks. He never realized how strong she really was until he fought her man-to-man. Every time she blocked, he could feel the strain on his arms, almost unable to push her back.

Vao's body shook and seized when Tourmaline zapped him with her spear, throwing lightning from a distance. Foam bubbled at his lips, his eyes rolling back in his head. He couldn't loose a single arrow at her. She was too fast - even if he managed to get past her weapon's speed, she'd just dodge the arrow or the fairies would throw themselves in the way to protect her. She giggled, her cheeks burning red.

"Oh, Jasper! Can I keep this one? I know he's just a discounted version of our Lord, but he looks and sounds just like the real thing!"

Jasper wrinkled her nose in disgust. "Will you stop thinking about your nasty ass fetish for one moment and actually kill him?"

A shadow washed over Jasper, the ginger looking up in surprise. Violet had climbed one of the streetlights and jumped, fully intending to crush her under a human's greater weight. Jasper's lips curled into a smirk, clapping her hands once. In an instant the fairies swarmed Violet, throwing her into a trash can. The seven-year-old yelped and shrieked, tumbling against the street. Jasper dodged a magic bullet, turning her green eyes to Midori. The little witch was trembling, her face a ghostly pale. Jasper flipped her daggers in her hands, the ice hardening into jagged, serrated blades.