eighteen: rest

"I want to go back in there

"I want to go back in there. Why'd you take me out?" Alicia questions, crossing her arms over her chest outside the house. Her mother shakes her head, placing her hands on the railing around the house.

"Alicia, she needs rest. She just went through something traumatic," Madison spoke looking out into the distance.

"Exactly why I should be in there mom. She needs someone by her side," Alicia fights back. Madison drops her head.

"Alicia, please," Madison begs, shaking her head. "I know she's your friend but she needs rest. She needs to get stronger. She can't do that with people around. I'm not saying to stay away from her completely. I want you to be around her. Be there for her as a friend. But right now, she needs to sleep off the pain."

"Mom-"

"Alicia," Madison cuts off her daughter and picks up her head. Her eyes go to her daughter's green ones. "You need to eat. Why don't you go eat something knowing now that Y/n's here and she's okay."

Alicia stays quiet and doesn't move. Madison pushes herself away from the railing and looks out seeing Nick and Troy coming over.

"How is she?" Nick asks out as the two walk up.

"She's awake," Madison responds. "You did good Nick."

Nick looks away from his mother, nodding. His hands go behind his back, keeping his eyes on the ground. Troy looks at Nick and then to Madison, then to Alicia then back to Nick.

"Is there anything I can do?" Troy asks, looking back to Madison. Madison shakes her head.

"No... No. Why don't all three of you go eat? I'll keep you updated with any changes," Madison says looking to each one of the younger kids. Troy nods and places his hand on Nick's shoulder before turning and heading away. Nick and Alicia stay lingering as Madison looks between her two children.

"Guys, she's fine," Madison informs the two. "She's safe and just needs time to heal."

"She's our friend mom," Nick says, picking up his head and squints his eyes a bit. "We can't just move on from this without feeling something."

Madison nods. "She's not dead though."

"But she could have been. You let her go. You let her go do something stupid."

"Alicia she was going to go with or without me helping. I sent Nick there to help her and I'm glad I did or she would have been dead," Madison spoke, her anger coming out. "I was looking out for her I promise you I was. She's safe now and she's okay. So please... Just go eat."