[16]

the past~

"Hey!" Adelyn runs up to Noah, throwing her arms around his neck and pulling him in for a kiss.

His head turns last minute and she's met with his cheek instead, she stays there for a few seconds, closing her eyes and relishing the moment

Every moment with him was memorable, she just didn't want to forget them, ever. He was the one thing in life that was grounding her.

"Hi." He mumbles, and she feels his hands go around her waist, and he gently pushes her off him

He doesn't look at her, at all. He looks across the street, behind her, through the café shop window.

But not at her.

"Is everything ok?" her hands go up to cup his cheeks and she moves his head so he sees her. Only her.

He's prying her off him, like he wants to lose her, "Yeah, never been better"

Nervously chuckling, she moves a step back and starts digging her nails into her palm, "Something's obviously wrong if you're acting weird."

He sighs, rubbing his hand over his forehead, he looks around once more before grabbing her hand and taking her to the alley, where they could get some privacy

His back is still facing her when he says "It's not working out between us, I just... I don't think I can do this anymore."

Adelyn lets out a laugh, "Did Savannah put you up to this? This isn't funny Noah."

One of her friends loved playing tricks on her, but she'd never go as far as making Noah fakr breaking up with her.

"Adelyn, listen to me."

"No, this isn't funny" she says, moving away from him

"I'm not joking, I had fun, you're chill and all, but you're not doing it for me anymore"

"What? Not doing it-?" her smile falls off and she's looking at him, "No, no, no." she shakes her head, and grabs his arm

"No this isn't how today is supposed to go, I...we were supposed to spend it together till midnight, and then i'd give you your gift and then your birthday."

"Adelyn stop."

"NO! YOU STOP IT!" she cries, "we cant break up, i...I love you, we can make it work, please, I can...I can change, I can do better."

"Listen, if you want to make me happy, then just leave me alone, I don't like you right now, I wont like you tomorrow."

"But, but why? I thought we were fine?"

"I wasn't."

"But I love you." 

Did her words mean nothing to him? Was she never going to be his first priority? Was everything she felt just an illusion?

Would she always have to put everyone on top of her list while not being important for other? Would she always be second place?

"Happy birthday to me." He says that and walks away.

"I love you." She lets out a broken whisper as he walks past her, and he's left her alone with her torn heart.

There's consant ringing in her head, in her chest, her feet were about to give out.

She met him a year ago and he changed her life, he changed her views. They had their differences, everyone did, but their fights never meant that she would risk her relationship for it. She valued him a lot, she loves him.

But, did she mean nothing to him?

She walks back into the café and few minutes later

Numb and unmoving, she felt as though her heart had been run over by a bulldozer.

He had her in the palm of his hands and he just broke her, so easily

It was so easy for him to just decide that they weren't meant to be together while it broke her.

Everything was fine until yesterday, and then today, a simple sentence ruined her

"Adelyn, can you clean up that table real quick?" one of her coworker says and Adelyn just nods, walking to the table next to the window

She's picking up the cups when she looks across the street

It was Noah, with someone else, a girl.

They were together.

She had her arms wrapped around him, and he was holding her, smiling down at her.

The way he'd smile at Adelyn, the way he'd look at Adelyn, the way he'd hold Adelyn.

~

She told her parents shed be home tonight.

But she wanted to be alone for a while.

She walked all night and it was 5 minutes to midnight when she reached a park close to her house, she went there often with Kai a year ago

Safety be damned, she went to sit on the bench, there weren't many people there, and she thought she saw an old couple there, and some guy on a jog.

That's when she hears her alarm going off and she takes her phone out of her bag, just to stare at it for a few seconds.

!!!11:59!!!

Noah's birthday!

The phone is thrown on the grass, across the two benches that were in front of Adelyn, she was standing now, her hands curled up against her side and her scream had startled the others there, but her pride wasn't there anymore, and she kept on sobbing.

Noah took her self-respect with him when she started begging him to stay with her, and it would be a while before she got it back. It would be a while before she moved on, so all she could do now was cry as much as she could before going back home.

She knew that wasting tears on an asshole was stupid, so she'd let it all out for the few minutes she was at the park and then stop.

She would forget him, he would never exist in her life, and she had better things to worry about than a boy.

So when she got back home, she was fine.

A boy named Noah never existed in her life.

~

the beginning...?