9

Wednesday, 3:28pm , 12/5/18

"I'm pregnant."

Adelyn stares at her mom, snorting, thinking she heard the most unbelievable thing ever, last time she heard this was 4 years ago and she was ecstatic.

"Come on mom, you can joke way better than this." She brings up her fork to take a bite of her pasta.

"I'm serious Lyn." She drops her fork, hearing her mother's tone and looks up at her, she was smiling and looked so happy.

Her mom was young when she had Adelyn, after that, no matter how much her parents tried, they weren't exactly successful, until 4 years ago when they had her younger brother.

Back then, she was so thrilled to know she would have a sibling, a big age gap between them but it didn't bother her much, but somewhere along the way, she realized that she was tired and exhausted.

Her dad had to go abroad many times during a year, and her mom was a doctor. They both weren't home many days, and she would be there. She would be there with her brother, taking care of him, going through all the tantrums and when he'd bite her or kick her in her boobs.

She was there for all of those times when all of it could've been avoided if her mother didn't take night shifts and be piled up with work there.

It wasn't her fault but Adelyn felt more of a mother than her own, and her brother, Kai, was only 4, it wasn't his fault for how he reacted, but it hurt her so much.

She couldn't count the times she's laid in bed and cried because she was tired and nobody ever checked up on how she was.

She'd have to catch up on her studies, her own job when she started at 18, her breakup, her brother.

Nobody ever asked how she did, because she was Adelyn, always happy and smiling, she never felt sad, she laughed so brightly and tried making everyone feel better, she was the older daughter.

In some messed up way, she didn't want another sibling. That would either mean that she has to go through all that again, or that Kai would feel insignificant since he never got all that attention from their mom.

"Does dad know?" She asks.

"Yeah, you're the second person I've told yet," She chirps, smiling happily, it starts dimming when she looks at her daughter, sitting there idly, "are...are you not happy?"

Adelyn shook her head, grabbing her mom's hand across the table, "I'm so happy for you mom, how many months has it been?"

She wasn't as happy as her mom thought.

She ended up going to her class after that, very overwhelmed and confused, and that's how she ended up at the bar that night.

"Hello?" She groggily questions, picking up her phone, it had been ringing for so long the bartender got annoyed and threatened to kick her out of she didn't answer.

"Adelyn speaking, please state your-" She burps and then giggles, "excuse me, what do you want?"

She was slurring.

"Are you drunk?" It was some guy asking her but she didn't recognize his voice, that only happened when she drank too much and was stressed. Usually her alcohol tolerance was great, she could drink more than whats-his-face italian ex.

Bring her phone to her face, wanting to see who was calling her, she couldn't see, it was all blurry, and the brightness made her eyes watery, so looking beside her, to ask the person there if they could tell her who it was, but there wasn't anyone there, and the bartender was nowhere to be seen.