The Arena

It was almost time for the matches to start. Professor Cloud explained that he will pick who fights who, but Jon managed to persuade him to put him down against me. I don't know how he did it, but I guess we would be fighting in front of the whole class. I didn't mind, but I would have expected this fight to take place on our own time. One good thing about the arena in GATE is that it is under a spell that prevents anyone from dying during a fight.That allows fights to be serious and improve skills. Even if someone is severely hurt from a fight, the clinic can just heal them.

"Alright class, it has been requested by Jon that him and Falen fight first. So, please class pay attention." Professor Cloud announced before sitting down. He motioned for Jon and I to go out to the field. I stood up, turning to Opal before leaving. she flashed me a thumbs up and I nodded at her. I knew I would have no problem beating Jon, and that is something I have been wanting to do. I'm normally against unnecessary violence, but I have had enough of Jon.

I was standing in the middle of the arena. The field was spacious and the ground was made of dirt. I waited for Jon to arrive in the middle of the field as well. I watched him jump over the railing that separates the seats and the field. I silently laughed at his attempt to be cool. He wouldn't be feeling so cool after our fight. He now stood in front of me. He had been wearing some sort of black cloak today. He ripped it off and threw it beside him. All I could do was raise an eyebrow and shake my head.

"Jon...sometimes you're such a try-hard." I stretched my arms a bit, preparing for the fight. He smirked at me. " No need to be sassy. Just remember that I won't go easy on you." He stretched his arms as well, the smirk still remained on his face. He tries to be intimidating during fights, but he really isn't. Plus, I know the way he fights. He just does the same thing repeatedly. Dodge attacks. I was waiting for him to make the first move, although I didn't really expect that from him.

This time was different. He did make the first move. He unsheathed his sword that was strapped to his hip and swung down, aiming for my head. He was too slow. Honestly, I didn't even need to requip. I launched backwards, his downward slash completely missing me. As he started to come around and swing horizontally, I decided to requip. I raised my forearm shoulder level, the top of it facing him. As I did, my forearm suddenly had a titanium shield strapped to it. His sword slashed into the shield. Not even a scratch had appeared to the shield, but instead, the tip of his sword's blade shattered. His eyes widened in surprise. The surprise soon turned to anger considering his only weapon was now gone.

"Alright, looks like you want to play rough." His hands were engulfed in flames and he started shooting streams of fire at me. I held my shield in front of my body, the fire did nothing to my shield or myself. He kept doing the same attack, and after a minute it got quite annoying. I leaped into the air. His fire attacks followed me, but I was faster. As I was descending, I requipped a katana. This katana of mine was black and red. The blade was ultra thin, yet sturdy. Because of it being thin, I could swing around the blade faster than a normal one. Instead of striking from above with the blade, I hit him in the head with the shield. He wobbled back, the blow being strong and powerful. He was probably seeing stars. Immediately after I landed on the ground I slashed at Jon's sides in a circular motion. The blade made contact with Jon's torso in a split second, cutting into him. He fell to the dirt, landing on his knees with a hand over the gash from my sword. I could see pain in his eyes.

"You're the one who wanted to go easy on me, yet I'm the one who had to go easy on you. What a turn of events." My sword vanished from my hand as I continued to stare down at Jon. I blinked and my red eyes were no longer glowing. "This fight is over. Thank you for the challenge, Jon." With that I turned away, walking back to the seats of the arena where the rest of the class was. As I took my seat I was receiving many stares. Some were from my friends who were happy to see that I have won, and others were from the strangers and the new students.

"Good job, Falen! You did a great job kicking his arrogant ass!" Opal said to me with a smile on her face. "Yeah." I said, smiling. "I didn't even have to requip anything special." She just laughed and then turned her attention back to Professor Cloud, considering he would be calling up the next fight. It took him a few minutes due to his note-taking, but he had finally looked up.

--------

It's been forty five minutes into the fights. So far I have seen three fights. There was Opal who had to fight one of Shizuo's best friends. I think his name is Riku. I don't really talk to him much. Anyways, Riku had won. Opal has never liked fighting for training purposes, so she just isn't use to it. Aside from Opal and Riku fighting, I watched Kane fight his friend Kaze, and Iris fight that new guy who controls tacos. Which, she easily won for obvious reasons. Hopefully that kid will discover another power in him. The fight that's occurring now is Mizu versus that other new guy, Jakob. I stared at the two fighting. For a newbie, Jakob wasn't bad, but Mizu's water has an advantage over his super strength. I continued staring at the fight, or rather, at Mizu. I watched the water on his hands explode into different attacks at Jakob. "Are you staring at Mizu again??" Opal laughed and nudged my side. Her elbow jabbing into my ribs made me snap back into reality. I looked at Opal, raising my eyebrows. "Am I what?" I asked, not hearing what she had said the first time. "I asked if you were staring at water boy, but I have my answer now." She nudged me again and my cat ears flattened a bit. "For educational purposes...idiot." She just patted my head and laughed. "Okay, Falen."

"I'm being serious!" I said, looking back at the fight only to see that it had finished, and Mizu had won. Professor Cloud stood up, signaling the rest of the class to as well. "That concludes this activity. From here you guys may go to lunch. If you are not aware, you get an hour lunch period here. After lunch, you will be going to your other classes. Now leave." Professor Cloud nodded to the class and left. I turned to Opal who was still next to me.

"Where should we go for lunch?"