Part 32

Over the next week, they worked to find a balance between Carina working and spending time with Lia and also with the twins. It was hard and there were any tears shed on all parties, but it was getting better every day.

A little over a week after Carina went back to work, though, they got a call from the daycare that Nora has spiked a fever and was complaining her throat hurt around lunch time. Carina was in the middle of surgery, but Maya had been down in the NICU with Lia, quickly telling the baby goodbye before heading upstairs to get Nora.

When Maya got there, however, she found both girls sitting in the nurse's office.

"So when we realized Nora was sick, we also checked Rowan," Nicole said, "And she also has a fever. There has been a strep outbreak the past week so that might be what this is."

"Ok," Maya nodded, "Thank you. Maybe I'll see if someone can swab them before we go home."

"Mommy, uppie," Nora whined as Maya walked over to them.

"I can't pick you up right now Piccola, remember?" Maya said, crouching down in front of them, "But we are going to go see if we can find someone to help you feel better ok?"

"My tummy hurts," Rowan complained.

"I'm sorry," Maya frowned, wondering if maybe Rowan had picked up something else, "Let's go see if we can find Zio Andrea or Auntie Jo to help you feel better."

"I want Mamma," Rowan said, lip sticking out as tears formed in her eyes.

"Mamma is at work," Maya sighed, knowing that if Rowan was calling Carina Mamma, she must have not been feeling well at all, "But if we go find your zio, he can help you feel better."

"I want uppie," Nora cried, rubbing her eyes.

"Is there any way you could page Andrew Deluca?" Maya asked, pretty sure her brother-in-law was working today and hoping maybe he could help her carry the twins.

It was times like these she missed having the stroller.

"Of course," Nicole said.

"Mommy, my tummy hurts," Rowan said again, Maya noticing she did not look good.

"Here," Nicole said, handing her an emesis bag as Maya crouched down next to Rowan.

"Do you think you might throw up?" Maya asked.

"I don't know," Rowan said, tears in her eyes.

"That's ok," Maya said, "How about I just sit here with you and hold this bag just in case, ok?"

Rowan nodded, tears falling down her cheeks.

"It's gonna be ok Ro," Maya said, happy the toddler's blonde hair was tied up in a messy bun, "If you throw up, that's ok. I know you feel sick right now, but it will be ok."

Maya rubbed Rowan's back, trying to keep her calm.

"Mommy," Rowan cried before gagging, Maya holding the bag to her mouth as she threw up.

"Shh," Maya said, "It's ok. I'm right here. I've got you."

Just as she finished, Andrew walked in.

"Woah, what's going on?" he asked as Maya threw the bag out.

"The twins are sick," Maya sighed, "There's strep going around apparently and Nora has a sore throat but Rowan is vomiting so I don't really know what is going on but I was wondering if maybe you could swab them for strep? And maybe help me take them to an exam room too? I'm not supposed to lift them yet."