Part 25

The next time either of them woke up was around midnight, about 4 hours after they fell asleep.

Maya was the first one up, not totally sure why she was awake for a second until she realized she needed to go to the bathroom. She moved slowly, her stomach crampy and her whole body just feeling weak. She looked over, seeing her wife sound asleep on the couch.

She debated waking her up, but she was pretty sure she could make it to the bathroom on her own. However, as soon as she stood up, she felt a gush of blood along with a major headrush, forcing her to sit back down on the bed loudly, bracing herself as she tried to regain her bearings.

The commotion woke Carina up, the Italian waking up slowly before looking over and seeing her wife sitting up on the edge of the bed, sensing something wasn't right.

"Bambina?" she said, getting up, "Hey, are you ok?"

"Um, I don't know," Maya said as Carina sat down next to her, "I needed to pee, but when I tried to get up, I got really dizzy and it felt like I was bleeding a lot."

"Ok," Carina said, trying to remain calm, "How are you feeling now?"

"Better," Maya said, finally looking at her, "But I still need to pee."

"Ok," Carina said, "Do you want me to get a bedpan or a bedside commode, or do you want to try to make it to the bathroom?"

"I think I can make it to the bathroom," Maya said, rubbing her eyes, "But do you think it's safe? Am I like, bleeding out?"

"I want you to stand again and see what happens," Carina said, suspecting that blood had simply pooled in Maya's uterus and then come out in a big gush when she stood, something that commonly happened when someone was sitting or lying down for a long time, and Maya had been asleep for close to 4 hours at this point. Maya stood up again, holding onto her wife.

"Do you still feel like you are bleeding a lot?" Carina asked, turning on the small light next to Maya's bed.

"No," Maya said, shaking her head, "No, it feels normal again."

"Good," Carina nodded, "It was probably just because you were laying down for so long, but we will keep an eye on it. If you start to feel dizzy or like you are bleeding more, let me know ok?"

Maya nodded as Carina helped her to the bathroom.

"Are you still feeling feverish?" Carina asked after Maya finished using the bathroom, Carina noting her bleeding didn't seem abnormal as she helped her.

"Um, maybe," Maya said as Carina helped her into a new pair of mesh underwear, "I don't really know."

Carina put a hand on her wife's forehead, "You still feel pretty warm."

"I need to deal with this breast milk again," Maya said as she washed her hands, noticing her boobs were aching again, "I probably should have set an alarm to wake up every 3 hours."

"Let's get you back to bed and then we can do that," Carina said, helping Maya out of the bathroom, "And for tonight, I think it is more important that you get sleep. We can work on getting into a pumping routine tomorrow, ok? Your body is exhausted and needs rest."

"Can we go see Lia after we get her more milk?" Maya asked with a yawn as she sat back down on the bed.

"I think you need to sleep some more," Carina said, "You still have a fever and you look so tired."

"But I miss her," Maya said, tears in her eyes.

"I know," Carina sighed as she pulled out another small bottle to collect colostrum for Lia, "But you also have to take care of yourself. Remember our rule? Our wellbeing has to be a priority when it can be and right now, Lia is safe in the NICU and you need to let your body rest some more."