Chapter 3 : A Cathartic News

Slowly and steadily, Erick reached downstairs. He was about to turn, but News flashing on T.V. seized his attention. His vision was still hazy, he rubbed his eyes, cleared his vision. His eyes focused on television.

His heart skipped a beat. He became numb, totally trampled.
Lost his grip and water glass crunched as it striked the wooden floor.

The News headlines he was reading"42 years old man, hitted by a car, drastically injured, paramedics reaches for help

"42 years old man, hitted by a car, drastically injured, paramedics reaches for help."

Erick was shocked and frightened, since the image reflecting on T.V. screen was of .... .
His mother approached, without having a look on T.V. screen, she turned off the T.V., before he could see the image clearly, and ordered him to do his chores.

Erick doing his chores, wasn't able to concentrate because, the news blocked his thoughts. Whereas, her mother was in the garden, watering the plants.

( Phone rings )

Carla, Erick's mother, rushed inside, answered the call.

"Hello"--- was the only word she said.

She went numb for a moment, shattering of her heart into pieces was authentic.

( Phone dropped, a loud thud followed, Carla was heartbroken )

Hearing the bang, Erick sprinted downstairs. He found his mother sitting beside the wall, sobbing terribly. She wasn't in state to say something. Only thing she did, pointed towards the phone.

Erick stood up, grasped the phone.

"Hello? Hello? Are you there?", the other side said.

Erick in tensed tone replied, "Yeah, what's the matter? Who's this?"

"I'm receptionist, calling from City hospital. Are you Mr. Jefferson's son? Mr. Erick?" she asked.

"Yeah! Mr. Jefferson is my father! What happened!? Is everything alright!?" Erick panicked.

"Mr. Jefferson was admitted to our hospital today, due to an accident at intersection. Please, visit City hospital as soon as possible." Receptionist said hurriedly.

Erick was petrified. Flashbacks! He reminded his memory and reminded of the news headlines on television. He constructed bridge of assumptions.
Erick grasped himself, with all courage he had, supporting his mother. Erick took hold of car keys and galloped so as to approach the car.

Carla being drowsy wasn't in state to drive, thus challenged Erick. As he didn't knew driving.

He regretted at that moment.

"My father was trying to teach me driving, I didn't paid attention, I ignored as if I would never require to drive. Maybe, he was drawing me up for situations, like one arose today." Erick thought and bowed his head.

( Car honks )

Erick straightened himself.

"No, I have no alternative, I have to do this, I can bear the regret later, but now I need to support my parents." Erick encourages himself.

"I know you can do this, Erick. Just follow the teachings your father taught you." Erick heard Carla murmuring.
After hearing Carla murmur, Erick was encouraged, he never expected motivation from her mother. So, this was special moment for him.

Keys chimed, engine starts. Petrified Erick accelerates the car, drove to the highway.

"Unexpected! I did it! I made it dad! I got this mom!", Erick shouted and sobbed heavily.

( City Hospital arrived )

Erick ran towards the hospital, asking paramedics to help his mother, fainted in the car.

Consulting from the receptionist, Erick rushed towards Mr. Jefferson's room. Doctors came out of room. Witnessing petrified Erick, they helped him calm down.

"Is everything fine? Where's my father? Is he alright?", Erick asked.

"Inspite of our best efforts, trying our best, we wasn't able to save the life, Es tut mir leid.", Doctor's informed Erick.

Erick puffed and panted.

His mother approaches, she peeked in the room and saw her husband laying on bed. She saw straight lines of her husband's heartbeat getting traced on ECG.

Carla gasped and fainted. Her heart beating was clearly audible. Erick held her in his arms and medics approached for help.

Erick was shattered. They both reached their home after her mother was treated.
Sitting beside his father's dead body in ambulance, Erick was heavily sobbing. The scenario was unimaginable. This mishap was unexpected.

"Even though my parents weren't much supportive to me, but they are the one who raised me, who made me the person I am today. My father tried to teach me life lessons, even though his ways were harsh. But he always expected the best out of me. He wanted to see me as successful and independent man!", Erick talked under one breath and bellowing.

Home arrived. The moment arrived. It was time to say goodbye. This goodbye was the last and meant forever.

-------------- AFTER FUNERAL ---------------

Erick was devastated, he wasn't ready for what was upcoming. He was tired.

"I don't feel like living anymore, I have no energy left to continue my life. Even though my father was toxic, but he was pillars of our family. Now, the pillars are lost forever, I can't withstand this anymore", Erick sighed.

Carla and Erick were totally ravaged.

Erick sitting on his table.
Opened the drower, took out the paper, picked a pen.
Now, Erick was about to write something catastrophic.

He completed writing a long paragraph, paper soaked with his tears. The note was embedded with his feelings.