Chapter 2 : An Epiphany

It's imaginable how severely Erick was depressed, that he forgot his own birthday. This was the great realisation Erick had that morning, as tomorrow was Erick's 18th birthday.

"Wha- what?! How someone can forget the special day of his own life", frightened Erick said.

"Birthdays might be special, but not for me. Mine are just normal days with parents taunting recklessly", Erick thought while looking in mirror with tears rolling down his cheeks.

( Doorbell rang , someone already rotated the doorknob )

Erick, although lethargic, was walking down the stairs and reached midway, peeking down to have a look at door.

( Indistinct gossiping )

The moment Erick peeked, the indistinct voices started echoing, visions became blurry, and a body fall down from stairs with a terrible thud. Before curtains of his eyes shut, the last faces he saw were of his mother and a boy ...

"Wait, why-y can't I remember who's the other guy, that face looked familiar, but who was he?", thought Erick.

Time was flowing and hours passed...

Erick slightly opened his eyes, his pupils dilated, struggling to move his arms but someone was resting his head on his shoulder.

Erick gasped.

"Is tha- that ... Polo ? , Polo, is that you?!
What are you doing here?! When you arrived here?!", panicking Erick murmured.

Backstory : Polo, 18 years old teenager, is Erick's roomate, they both reside in same dormitory of their boarding school. Moreover they are really close friends and were perfect match. But, they both weren't able to interact much during classes because both would be busy with their own friend circle.

In response to Erick's murmuring, Polo lifted his head, and levelled his perfect attractive face to Erick's. Erick was lost in Polo's blue eye. Other eye was covered with his long silky golden hairs.
Polo lifted his hand and tangled his fingers with Erick's, tightening his stiff muscles.

"A Masterpiece", Erick thought.

Erick breaths heavily, fluttering away the thought.

"I travelled across states to visit you, moreover I guess this was the right time to show up, as I still remember that terrible thud. Looks like you need a loving one, my friend. I was worried for the moment. But, sign of relief, you are outta mishap. You sure you are alright, we can appoint to Doctor's ?" Polo confronted in tensed tone.

Erick replied - Since my sunshine friend is here , I'm filled with gratitude and cherished, just need a nap. ( lazy tone )

Polo insisted, you seem slumberous, perhaps you should let up.

"Forty winks, being it's your birthday tomorrow! Let's have a celebration!" Polo said enthusiastically.

"I wish I could be same enthusiastic as you, I wish I could love myself as you platonically do", Erick said woefully.

( Tensed silence )

Polo smiled, "You only have to learn, how to love yourself, you know about self-love, just reflect it", Polo said and took steps to leave the room.

Erick interrupted, you can live at my house, suit yourself, keep your belongings here.

"I'd love to, but we shifted here, so I'll be nearby, just ring me."
I've left some food on your table, have it, you growling stomach", Polo said queerly.

( Both laughed )

Erick rests and Polo left.
( Door closes )

Few hours passed. Erick woke up. He rushed downstairs.

News flashing on the T.V. grabbed his attention.