BC17: Gold (Kip and Penny)-2

Start from the beginning

"Just one mission. Sounds lame, but apparently it was 'not dangerous enough' for me to be a 'liability'." Mercury was still sore about that.

"At least you can't offend Penny easily," Yang remarked.

"Is this your idea of helping?" Mercury said. "Your mom already gave me the third degree. I don't need you to also."

"See this, this is why no one can get along with you." Yang pointed at him with her human hand. "Someone tries to help you, and you spit back in their face. Gosh, no wonder they moved you."

He frowned.

"Fine then," Yang said. "We're not really friends anyway, right? Excuse me for caring about this kind of crap. I just don't like to see teammates get so down. I guess you're above that though."

"Above it?" Mercury repeated, but Yang wasn't listening anymore. She'd already walked away.

Mercury saw Neptune say something to her and then shoot him a dirty look, but he doubted "Blue Boy" would start any crap with him.

What a waste of time.

He got up.

Shine came back in right then.

"I see the driving lesson is going pretty well," she said.

"Well, she hasn't crashed the car yet." Tai was watching from the window and wincing.

"She'll be fine," Qrow said. "But cars are overrated."

"Perhaps when you can fly." Winter was also watching. "But as you no longer can, you might consider the accommodations yourself."

"Don't rub it in that you can still fly, Ice Queen," Qrow said.

"You still let him call you that, eh?" Meridian looked up. "I thought it was off limits."

Winter just shrugged it off.

Apparently she'd decided to become philosophical about the nickname. At least it had 'queen' in it.

Really, Qrow didn't use it to be insulting anymore, it was just habit. Plus he clearly found her iciness pretty entertaining when it was directed at other people, and by now Winter had realized this fact.

"Is Emerald all right?" Pyrrha asked Shine in a low voice.

"She's okay," Shine said. "But you all do manage to have so much drama when we're not around, I feel a little behind."

"It's very upsetting," Pyrrha said. "I don't wish to gossip, but you know all about us, so...well, perhaps you could advise them better."

"I'm not schooled on breakups...but I do think something should be said," Shine mused.

Mercury was frowning at her.

Shine figured she'd better hurry if she was going to try; she and Wally wouldn't be able to stay long.

Mercury was leaving anyway, so she followed him.

Wally didn't see her go. He was too busy telling Ruby not to panic.

Perhaps Argus streets were not the best ones for a new driver.... Still, the car was in one piece.

"Mercury, wait," Shine called, hurrying after him on the street.

He looked back. "No, not you too. I don't need to hear it from you."

"I want to help," Shine said.

"I don't need your help."

Shine stopped walking.

Mercury noticed and paused, surprised.

"You can push everyone away," Shine said, low but distinct, "but that fixes nothing. I'm offering because I care about you. And I always have, if that matters at all, but if not, I can let you deal with this your way. I was asked to talk to you by a few different people who are worried about you, is all."