• CHAPTER 25 •

Start from the beginning

I groaned and rolled out of bed. I spent an hour just thinking and I was over it. I went out in the dark, not wanting to open the television to not wake Joe up. I looked around for something to keep my mind busy. The beauty of the city lights caught my eyes and I found myself walking closer to the windows. I looked out of the lights that no matter if it is dark or light, they never shut. They never sleep. It was a black wave that glittered with light. I sighed at the beautiful sight.

"Talia?"

I gasped.

"Damn it, Joe. You scared the shit out of me."

He giggled and threw his soft hair away from his eyes. He was shirtless which made me see his hidden tattoos. For the first time, he was wearing anything other than black clothes. He was wearing a dark grey sweats, still dark but at least not white. He walked closer to me with his bare feet.

"Why are you awake?" I asked.

"I woke up to get water. You look like you didn't even sleep."

I nodded.

"You like the view huh?"

I looked back out of the window and smiled, "yes."

"When I get tired I just come out here to stare at the people who never sleep and the lights that never die and remember that no matter what happens, life doesn't stop." He dug his hands in his pockets and looked at me, "no matter what you go through and you fall, life still goes on. It doesn't wait for you to stand back up." He sighed and looked at the view, "it runs faster. So either you choose to get back up on your feet or you get stepped over."

I smirked at him, "speaking facts sir Joe?"

He looked at me, smiled and shrugged then his eyes shift to something behind me. I looked to find the family picture hanged on the wall. Guilt washed me knowing that I brought him back here to these hurtful memories.

"Why don't you call her, Joe?"

He shifted his attention on me and scoffed. "Life is so easy in your eyes, huh?"

"Why don't you try?"

He paused then said "I did". He avoided my eyes for a few seconds but I found them, silently asking him to elaborate. "She found out what I do and, you know, we fought and I just," he shrugged, "came back home and she was gone." He turned his face away from my gaze and sniffed. My heart ached at the thought of losing a sibling.

"Why didn't you stop, Joe?"

"Because we were broke," he raised his voice, making me startle. He looked away and shook his head. "I did everything to have money. I was okay, I was. I didn't care. But, Talia, I loved a girl so much and all she wanted was for me to have money. She didn't care about anything else. I did everything she asked me to do and then chose to leave because I couldn't provide for her." He looked at me for confirmation but I kept my emotions neutral. "I promised myself then to do whatever it takes to get money and fast and buy a car more expensive than the guy she left me for and make sure she sees it."

He walked away to the couch and sat down, trying to ease the anger that rose in him. "And I did. In just a few months I was able to be richer than he will ever be. I bought a Ferrari and went to where they were sitting, dressed nice too." He shook his head and smiled. "I will never forget her eyes as she watches me get out of the car and in the coffeeshop. She got up and rushed to talk to me. She asked me if that was my car and I smiled, looked at him and simply said "sure" and walked away."

    "I am sure she regrets it."

    "She does. She tried to reach me so many times. She calls me until today."

    "You don't answer?"

    "I do."

I frowned. "Why?"

"I want to keep reminding myself that she could do anything to have me back and I will still make her feel like shit just like she did to me."

I stayed silent as he turned his attention to the picture again.

"I just wish she gave me a chance to explain myself." The silence filled the room but our brains were vibrant, full of loud noises we weren't able to silence. He put his head in his head and closed his eyes. I went to sit next to him and laid my head on his back and wrapped my arms around his waist. We stayed like this for a couple of minutes before he sits up making me sit up as well. "Do you want to watch a movie?"

"Sure."

But it was simply background noise to our noisy thoughts. I closed my eyes and dropped my head on his shoulder. I felt his hand play with my hair locks as I let myself fall asleep.

 I felt his hand play with my hair locks as I let myself fall asleep