Ch. 13: The Nose Knows

"Alright, peoples, we're here." Eda said.

"Huh?" Luz let out, looking around to notice she and her mother were in Eda's staff and the stairway up to the nostrils were in front of them.

'How long was I thinking?!' Luz thought in surprise.

"Yikes, the stairs look worse than I thought." Skara said, looking at the steps.

"Oh, it's not the steps that will kill you." Eda said, "This is the easy part, that hard part is the fifty foot climb straight up."

"Climb?" Camila asked her.

"Don't worry, I've got climbing gear for all of us." Eda said to her, "Now, let's get up there."

The group began their climb of the steps, watching their steps as they were falling apart so they had to watch their feet or else something bad would happen. This could go wrong very quickly.

"Are we sure we can't use magic? At least to make a more stable walkway?" Willow asked.

"We could but it will only last so long before we exhaust ourselves and our magic. Trust me, this isn't my first time going up the nostrils." Eda said to them.

"It's the one place of the Titan that effect's magic, making it hard to keep it under control." Eda said, "When we get inside the nostril, we'll be fine, but going up, that causes problems."

Luz gripped her concealment stone.

"But it won't be TOO big a problem, will it?" Luz asked her, worried about her concealment stone.

If it stopped working, Willow and Skara will see her true appearance! Luz wasn't ready for anyone to see her true self yet!

"Oh, don't worry Kid, your concealment stone should be fine... I think... I'm 60/40 sure." Eda said.

'60/40?!' Luz thought.

'Concealment stone?' Willow and Skara thought.

"Alright, follow me!" Eda said.

They continued up the steps, putting their worries/curiosity aside to focus on getting to the top to find their objective. The fossilized stone mucus of the Titan.

"Alright, we're getting close."

"Meaning it will get harder?" Camila asked.

"Yep. Now just let me get in these harnesses." Eda said, drawing a spell circle to put them in everyone.

"Alright, who wants to go first?"

"You mean lead the climb up to the nostrils since we reached the top of the steps?" Skara asked.

"Yep." Eda said with a nod.

"I will!" Luz said.

"No, you won't!" Camila argued.

"But mom! I can handle it!" Luz said to her, "I HAVE to do it."

"But Luz-"

"Please, mom....." Luz said, giving Camila a firm yet pleading expression, "If I can help these two find someone that's missing, maybe there's hope for me."

Eda did her best to hide her smile.

'I have a feeling that we're going to kill two giraffes with a one spell here.' Eda thought, putting the pieces together, 'But who am I to ruin a surprise? I want to see this play out too.'

"...Okay, Mija. But please be careful." Camila said to her.

"I always am." Luz said.

'No you're not.' Camila thought in worry.