A Future Polluted

~(Y/n)'s POV~

We arrived there and headed down the steps. He's a very successful man but prefers one of those small shops almost in the basement of some other building. A bell rings as we enter and already you hear the sound of...machinery?

The displays were all in the process of some complicated moving around, flipping to show other styles. An old, gruff voice sounded from behind the counter in the back, "Night is for villain styles. If yer' trying to be heroes, come back in the morning."

"Oh we're just uh...looking around. Not trying to be some kind of either. Still gonna buy though!" May replied.

The man, probably the mask maker, put down his magazine. "You can say that now missy...but anyone who puts a mask on ends up as one or the other eventually...sometimes both in some cases."

Is it just me or did he look at me as he said that last part? What a weird dude. We split up to look at all the masks and outfits he was selling.

"Lemme know if you find something but it doesn't fit ya." He grumbled "I can adjust it for ya in the back."

I browsed through the coats he had. He wasn't kidding about it being Villain time...nothing but dark colors. I heard Willow laugh somewhere in the store. "Man, I should just shop here from now on! This is more edgy than any kind of store or homemade stuff I could do!" Of course that's what she cares about.

"(Y/N)..." I heard May from behind me. I turned to see her holding a mask. It was expressionless, only having two eyes in it and then just holes around the mouth area. There was something like tinted glass in the eye holes as well so it hid the eyes. It was pretty cool, I'm not gonna lie.

"They're clear when you put it on too so you can't even see the eyes." She put it on and looked at me. She looked pretty badass in it.

"You should get that one, I think it works well for you. Maybe change the colors though. I don't think a black mask with blue glass really fits...'you' y'know?" She nodded and walked off again.

I found myself looking back at the outfits. I grabbed a black pair of 'military' styled pants. A large coat with a hood, and then I looked at the masks...and I did something that anyone would've thought practical. I didn't pick something flashy. What? After my rant while beating Zephyr's face in I realized the outfits get too flashy too.

I picked up a gas mask. Full face.

I hid my purchases from Willow. She complained but I said it was for Halloween later in the year and she agreed then hid her purchase as well. May also did it but only to play along. The Mask Maker quietly rang us all up, did the needed adjustments, and handed us our bags.

Willow was absolutely restless the whole time. "Seriously where do you get your inspiration, old timer? These are some absolutely rocking clothes!" He never answered. Just stared at her. This dude is really weird, seriously...

We left. It was late but I didn't particularly care anymore.

Willow checked her phone. "Ah shit...I better go. I have work in the morning and y'all kept me out." She turned on her heel and looked at me. "You better hang out with me more often, okay? Or I'll have to kidnap you and make you hang out with me!" I laughed awkwardly as I could tell she kinda wasn't joking...what a good friend. She smiled, took a picture of all of us with our bags, 'for social media', then walked off. Leaving me and May alone again. We started walking back to the university. I didn't wanna leave her alone at this time of night...

"(Y/N), about everything that's happened...I really don't know how to help you get past it...but if you ever need help with...your new direction? I uh...wouldn't mind it, y'know? I think you've kinda got the right idea. Maybe just...ease up on the muggers though alright?" She smiled kinda teasingly.