5. {Rengoku} ~ Too late

AU: None
Words: 762

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

   I was peacefully walking around the Headquarters, without anything in mind. That's such a lie, I always have something in mind. Or more likely, someone... none other than the Flame Hashira, Kyojuro Rengoku. I could talk about that man for hours, being able to list everything I like about him.

I really fell hard for him.

   As I was lost in my thoughts, I almost ran into Mitsuri, who was calling me.

"Are you waiting for Rengoku ?" She asks with a knowing smile.

"More or less, I'm really bored right now..."

"I heard that Tanjiro and his friends went to join him in his mission." Mitsuri says as she observed me.

   That's weird. Not gonna lie, if I could I would have also joined; I don't have any missions tonight. But the more I was there, the more I felt uncomfortable... I don't know why, I felt like something really bad was going to happen.

"Do you know where that train is exactly ?" I ask as I made sure I had my weapon with me.

   She started to explain, before stopping and wanting an explanation. I reassured her, saying that I would just surprise him by going there. I did my best to not show my worry as I dashed in the direction she indicated me.

I just hope I won't be too late.

I ran all night, not resting once. I have a lot of stamina and not a bad speed, so I knew I could run all night. Adding to that all the adrenaline from my worry, I could race to the other side of the world if I needed to. I wouldn't mind if it's for him.

Upon arriving, it was already morning. The sun was still rising, as I tried to understand what I was seeing. The train had derailed and was on its side, Inosuke was standing and Tanjiro was crouched in front of Rengoku who was in the same position, his back turned to me. I ran the last meters, before skidding and ending up besides the two of them.

I was exhausted and I probably scratched the hell out of my hip, but I still went to my knees, putting my hands on Rengoku's shoulders.

"Y/n... I'm so glad I could see you one last time..." he weakly states, as I look in horror at his eye that was closed.

"What do you mean by that ?! You're not gonna die, Kyojuro !" I saw his eye widened as I used his first name, but that wasn't important.

I glance at his body to see if he has any serious injury that could kill him, when my eyes landed on his stomach. I gasp in horror as I see the hole in it.

"No..." I cry, looking back at his face.
"No no no no..! You can't die, not you !"

I felt the tears threatening to fall from eyes, but I did my best to not let them. My vision was blurry, but I could still see his soft smile. How can he smile in this situation ?!

"Please Y/n, don't cry..." Rengoku says.

"How can I not ? I don't want you to die, I want to be by your side forever ! You're the only person I don't want to lose, I love you damnit !"

There was a bit of a silence as his face turn into a sad look. I did my best to suppress my sobs.

"My only regret in this life is that I never had the chance to marry you..."

I can't explain what I am feeling right now, all my emotions were mixed. I was kind of happy to hear that, but also extremely sad and angry at myself. Why couldn't I be quicker ? Why am I always too late for anything ?!
But I also realized that with a last smile, he drew his last breathe.

I was devastated.

I couldn't even hear anything anymore as I just cried non-stop, my throat becoming sore from all I yelled for him to come back. Even when the Kakushi arrived and tried to make me let go of him, I wouldn't listen. I wasn't ready to let him go, I didn't want to believe that was the last time I could held him in my arms. At some point, one of them had to knock me out in order to separate me from him.

I swore to kill every demon I would encounter, especially that Upper 3. I won't die before I'd cut his throat, even if it would cost my life.