10. A Fortuitous Alliance.

WattpadHornsandHalos prompt: You find yourself stuck between an angel and a demon who need to put aside their differences and work together to stop a greater evil.

A blinding burst of light erupted, scattering the encroaching darkness and momentarily dazzling Evangeline's vision. She shielded her eyes. Yet, just as quickly, a surge of intense blackness followed, swiftly taming the overwhelming brilliance.

Slowly, the grounds opened, the fire subsided, the water dried, and the wind quietened.

Evangeline's life was spared of the relentless onslaught of elemental forces as she found herself suspended in mid-air between two otherworldly beings, one a celestial entity brimming with light, the other exuding enigmatic darkness.

Coughs racked her body as soon as the elements faded and she was gently placed atop the barren ground. Evangeline curled forward, heaving for air and struggling to calm her heart.

Their powerful, overwhelming auras clashed in polarity of good and evil, light and dark, white and black, Angel and Daemon – summoned by an unusual surge of magic that rippled through realms.

"Jezebel," the Angel sneered, the expression alien across his heavenly face.

The Daemon smirked, showcasing sharp teeth resembling that of a shark as she plopped down atop a jagged rock. "Fancy meeting you here, Azrael."

Evangeline frowned, still reeling from her last encounter with the supernatural. Their unpredictability was too dizzying.

Azrael shook his wings, golden feathers fluttered as he opened them in what he intended as a threat to the Daemon. Jezebel, however, clapped as if witnessing an entertainment show, her tail swishing behind her. "That was cool," she whistled. "Do it again."

Irked, the Angel frowned. "What is it that you seek, Daemon?"

"Daemon?" she pouted. "I thought we were on a first-name basis."

Azrael huffed, rolled his eyes, and faced a wide-eyed Evangeline. His silky white cloak fluttered behind him as he headed her way before crouching down to her level. "Are you alright, Miss Winterbourne?"

"Ever the polite," Jezebel snickered in the background, muttering about Angels and their stupid robes.

Evangeline cleared her throat. "Yes, uh, thank you...sir."

Jezebel snorted and slapped a hand over her mouth when Azrael shot a glare her way before helping Evangeline – who couldn't take her eyes off his tanned skin, platinum strands, white beard, and golden irises – sit in a more comfortable position.

His wrinkles only added to the warmth he exuded as he smiled at her and she returned it. "You did great there, not surrendering to the pain and the temptations of power."