12. A Spellbinding Festival. [WON]

WattpadAsianFantasy prompt: You travel to China to celebrate the Dragon Boat Festival, but quickly discover everyone is riding a real dragon from Chinese Mythology!

With Tiamat sealed away and the aftermath of their ordeal lingering in her heart, Evangeline lay sprawled atop her bed, her spirit heavy and her gaze vacant. With a sigh, she curled tighter into a ball, her gaze falling on the box of feathers beside her. Jackson's betrayal had impaled her soul more than she expected. She had trusted him with her life more than once and...he chose Tiamat over her.

Her phone chimed with a notification. With a resigned huff, Evangeline mustered the strength to check the text. It was Malik this time. Olivia had probably contacted him after being unable to reach her. To her surprise, it contained a picture of plane tickets and hotel reservations. Confusion furrowed her brows as she sat up, quickly dialing his number.

He picked up immediately, interrupting her before she could utter a single word. "Don't say anything. You deserve it."

Evangeline bit down on her trembling lips. "How did you know?"

"Olivia told me everything you've been up to...and Jack's been missing," Malik replied, his tone tinged with sympathy and understanding. "We found...strange papers at his place."

"What-"

"A topic for another day, Angie," he interjected, swiftly quelling her flames of curiosity. "Go. Have fun."

And so, a couple of days later, Evangeline found herself strolling through the bustling streets of Guilin. Malik truly knew her well to have chosen such a mesmerizing destination.

Situated in the Guangxi region of China, Guilin was renowned for its awe-inspiring landscapes. Its iconic karst mountains, meandering rivers, and lush greenery created a picturesque setting that effortlessly captivated visitors. Traditional music filled the air and tantalizing aromas of local delicacies wafted around. Witnessing the age-old customs and rituals added depth and meaning to the celebrations.

Evangeline inhaled deeply, savoring the moment as she headed to the Li River. The crystal-clear waters and towering limestone peaks served as a mesmerizing backdrop for the exhilarating dragon boat races that took place during the festival.

With each step, she felt her anticipation grow, drawn closer to the enchanting scene unfolding before her eyes. The kaleidoscope of vibrant colors, the rhythmic beats of drums, and the euphoric laughter that permeated the atmosphere added an extra layer of enchantment to the already stunning scenery.

As she neared the river, a view beyond her wildest imagination greeted her. Instead of boats fashioned in the shape of mythical dragons, actual creatures inhabited the water. Their eyes were peacefully closed, their expressions radiating contentment.

Evangeline gasped in wonder, her heart skipping a beat as she hurried forward, almost losing her balance on the bridge as she leaned on the rails. Her eyes drank in the sight of these majestic beings, their presence evoking a sense of wonder and awe that transcended her wildest dreams.