5. Phantasmagoria.

magic prompt: Finally, you've managed to gather the courage to get yourself a tattoo. What you didn't expect, however, was that it'd grant you the ability to see creatures no one else can see beside you.

 What you didn't expect, however, was that it'd grant you the ability to see creatures no one else can see beside you

Malik bumped his shoulder against Evangeline's, a smile stretching his lips and mirth flickering in his eyes.

"I can't believe you decided to get a tattoo."

"Neither can I. I had to summon every ounce of courage I had to venture into this realm of body art."

Both chuckled, slowing to a stop as they neared the entrance. Evangeline glanced at Malik.

"Keep this a secret for now." When he tilted his head, she elaborated, "I want to surprise the others."

"Shock them, you mean."

Evangeline punched his shoulder as he shook in silent laughter before both entered the tattoo parlor. It wasn't long before she was exposing her left shoulder. With nervous anticipation, she pointed at the unmarred spot right atop her breast and her erratic heart.

She had spent weeks contemplating the design that would forever mark her skin until she finally settled on a small dragon to commemorate her draconian ancestry.

Malik held her hand after telling her to focus on him if the pain became too unbearable.

As the artist began his work, Evangeline felt a tingling, paradoxical sensation spread across her skin, a mixture of pain and unexpected pleasure of something otherworldly tickling her nervous system.

At first, she thought it was simply the sensation of the needle.

Yet, foreign energy surged through her body while the tattoo artist carefully etched the intricate lines and shapes onto her canvas.

And, as the ink settled into her skin, Evangeline could swear she felt the dragon roar to life and flap its wings. Slowly, she began to notice a subtle shift in her that only became palpable when they were walking down the bustling city streets.

Malik kept asking if she was alright. Evangeline, however, couldn't hear what he was saying. She rubbed her eyes once, twice, too many times.

Nothing changed.

Evangeline questioned her sanity. Were these visions mere hallucinations or the result of the tattoo's mystical properties? Was the ink embedded with magic or did the tattoo unlock something of her powers?

However, they weren't figments of her imagination. She didn't want them to be. It couldn't be. To read about mythical tales and creatures was one thing. To see them in real life was another.

Her heart soared and her grin widened before she quickly excused herself. "I've got something to do. Talk to you later, okay?"

Befuddled, Malik nodded. "You sure you're good?"