Chapter 38: Girls Talk

(Third Person POV)

Suzune Horikita was waiting in the Cafe for the anonymous person who had invited her to discuss "important business regarding classes".

She would typically avoid messages like these, but the mention of classes caught her attention, so she invited this person to a more populated area, in the case of a possible assault. If they even laid a hand on Horikita in the Cafe, other girls and white knights would storm the aggressor immediately, especially if she put on the scared girl act.

"They're late."

Despite not being the one who did the inviting, Horikita had decided on the place and time, trying to gain more control over the conversation before it began.

She even arrived late on purpose, but that went to waste along with her early lead.

"I wonder if I should have told him before I came here."

She had deliberated telling Katagiri Yuuichi about the strange message, but decided against it, making this meeting of her own volition.

"That man hasn't contacted me in days anyway and wasn't at his dorm either."

Deciding on a whim last second to bring him along, Horikta had visited Yuuichi's dorm and had turned slightly red when other boys passed by and said:

"I wonder if she's waiting for her boyfriend. What a scumbag, making his girlfriend wait like this."

She left as soon as she heard those words.

"They're right though..."

Suddenly, Horikita felt slightly annoyed that he had not contacted her after the exam, which made her even more angry.

She scowled.

"He is a scumbag."

"Who's a scumbag?"

Horikita quickly looked upwards to see the person who had contacted her earlier.

It was Shiho Sawaragi in a knee-length, yellow and white sundress.

The sudden appearance made Hroikita flustered.

"I was talking about...Ryuuen. Yes, Ryuuen. For what he did to you and Ichinose."

"Ah, well thank you for thinking about us."

Shiho sat down and put her bag on the table, getting comfortable.

"I'm saving that seat for someone."

Horikita was in no mood to talk to Shiho, and on top of that, Horikita was in the same group as Yuuichi, who has now gotten two class C members expelled.

"Your saving it for me, right? This was when and where you wanted to meet up."

Shiho took out her phone to show Horikita the messages between them.

"That was you, Shiho?"

"Yes, I have something important to discuss with you."

The air suddenly became tense, and Horikita's expression became stern.

"Are you looking for revenge against our class?"

Shiho's eyes opened wide, and Horikita took this as confirmation of her theory.

"Forget about it. There's nothing you or Ichinose can do that can take down Katagiri or..."

The image of Ayanokoji Kiyotaka flashed through her mind. She hasn't seen anything noteworthy about him up close, but he is always with Yuuichi, and there is something mysterious about him.

Shiho put both her hands up frantically and shook them back and forth.

"No, no! That's not it at all! We don't want revenge against you, and besides, Ichinose is in no shape for that."

That tense air suddenly left, and Horikita could once again hear the idle chatter around them.

"Oh, sorry. How is Ichinose?"

Shiho's last sentence interested Horikita. Maybe if they gave Ichinose one final push, she would drop out of school completely.

Shiho did not seem to notice the true meaning behind Horikita's question.

"Not good. She doesn't come out of her dorm anymore and she hasn't talked to anyone else in the class for days, even her friends. We're struggling here. If she doesn't get better soon, our class's morale will be in the gutter, and we'll have no chance in the next special exam."

"Does she talk to you, Shiho?"

"Not really. Only when she wants me to deliver her snacks from time to time."

That was a lie. Horikita could tell immediately. Right after Horikita had asked that question, Shiho had a startled look in her eyes, and the tone of voice she used to answer the question changed ever so slightly from the previous ones.

It would do no good for Horikita to accuse her here and now though, with all these people around. But this secret Shiho is hiding could be the key to getting Ichinose to fall.

"A-anyway, I came here to ask you something."

"What is it?"

"Suzune Horikita, will you join our class?"

-

The Cafe seemed to go silent for a second, even though no one else could hear their conversation unless they had focused on it.

But, Horikita's answer came in a reflex.

"I refuse."

Shiho only looked a bit surprised.

"That was fast, can I ask why?"

"I have my own personal reasons for wanting to stay in my class, but that's beside the point and none of your business. Plus, the only reason you want me to join your class is so I can pull it out of its sorry state, and I refuse to be used like that."

"But your okay being used by Katagiri Yuuichi?"

The quick retort sent Horikita into silence, and the tense air returned to the table.

"That's none of your business."

"Is that your personal reason for wanting to stay in your class? Do you like him? Rely on him?"

Horikita took the tea sitting next to her and splashed it on Shiho's chest area. It was cold by now, but the message it carried was sent.

"I said that's none of your business."

Horikita grabbed her bag and began to get up, glaring at the stunned Shihio.

"You class C people really enjoy prying, don't you. This is why I hate your class. You share too much. The second I join, you would ask for my period schedule, wouldn't you? Sorry, that was only a half-joke."

She started to walk away, leaving Shiho to clean up herself and the table.

But, she then felt a hand on her sleeve.

"Wait, I'm sorry! I really do want you to join our class! You're smart and, well..."

Horikita was again pleased that she was correct. Shiho had only requested she joined so she could help her class and get revenge on Yuuichi.

She shook off the sleeve holding her.

"I won't help your class, and if Katagiri Yuuichi doesn't do it himself..."

Horikita turned to face Shiho once more.

"I'll expel Ichinose on my own."

--------------------------------------------

Next Chapter: What's more important is...

A/N:

The next chapter will focus back on Yuuichi and Ayanokoji following directly from the events of Chapter 37! To get more input from readers, I would like to ask, who would you say would have the most chemistry with Yuuichi as a romantic partner? I have my own thing planned, but I am willing to change it if more people agree on someone else. Thank you in advance!

See you soon!