Chapter 29: Finding Kushida/Running for Points

(Ayanokoji POV)

After a brief conversation, both me and Kotonoha decided we would disqualify Kushida first, before focusing on the other classes hiders.

I didn't want to take Kotonoha near wear Hirata could be hiding, so we decided to set off West.
This meant we would be heading towards wear Class A started, according to Kotonoha.

We both ordered water and some granola from the drones before we headed out. It set me back a good 10,000 private points from the Katagiri Group Funds.
We don't have many points now, since a lot were used to buy some students back.
Kushida was the most expensive student we had to buy back.

On the way there, I realized that Kotonoha hadn't really told me much, so I decided to try to make light conversation.

"Why do you want Kushida disqualified?"

She was walking a few feet in front of me, and we were moving fast, so she didn't look at me to answer.

"She might betray your class, right? I heard about what she tried to do to my Yuuichi. That won't happen again."

There was that word again. My. I kept ignoring it, but it was starting to get strange. Every time she mentions his name, she refers to him as her own property.

"How do you plan on expelling her?"

"Hurt her until she can't participate anymore."

"Do you mean, push her off a cliff?"

"Maybe. But, I plan to get myself disqualified with her, and get as hurt as she does. I'll start a fight, and play around for a while. I'll let her land some hits, but overall the main goal will be accomplished."

We had talked about this earlier. Kotonoha doesn't about this exam, or class points, at all.
As for her reasoning for wanting to expel Kushida, I could only assume it had something to do with Yuuichi.

We went silent again for a few minutes. The only sounds nearby were our own feet hitting the dead leaves, and the sound of the waves.

I wish I could go on walks in nature more often. The school is very secluded and very modern, walks like this, were impossible.
The wind blew my hair again, and I decided to ask a question I had been wondering for a while now.

"Kotonoha, what is your relationship with Yuuichi?"
-
She didn't stop moving, and she didn't even turn around to look at me.

Her mind was only set on one goal, so I wonder if she just tuned me out.

"That's a long story. A story of my past and his, once that I won't concern you with."

She stopped talking after that. That answer seemed to be her nice way of saying 'stay out of it'.

She didn't confirm nor deny the idea of  them being relatives. They do share the same last name, and a similar face.
But, something felt off about that theory, a discomfort I couldn't really explain.
-
Someone's close to us.
A normal student would hardly be able to notice this, but I noticed it as soon as I heard a third set of footsteps cracking the leaves.
So this is it...

"Kotonoha, someone is nearby."

"I think it might be someone from Class A."

She was right to make that assumption. According to her calculations, this is most likely nearby where Class A started this exam.