Chapter 6 Safety

PLEASE NOTE THIS CHAPTER INVOLVES A DARK THEME, INCLUDING ALCOHOL, WHICH MAY OFFEND SOME PEOPLE OR BRING BAD MEMORIES/THOUGHTS TO SOME PEOPLE. IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO READ THIS CHAPTER, THE NEXT CHAPTER SHOULD BE EASY ENOUGH TO CATCH UP ON. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED - I JUST DON'T WANT ANYONE TO GET UPSET ABOUT THIS CHAPTER.

Harry POV: Safety

Silence almost seemed everlasting.

Darkness gripped at me, like a fist, and held me close to the edge – the cliff, high like skyscrapers – making my feet scuff and dangle dangerously close to falling. The cliff…the cliff was what I feared the most. The height of the fall that it would be – the speed that would increasingly gain as I fell further and further.

I would increasingly fall faster and faster in love with Louis if we kept going the way we were going.

But, the silence, it made it easier to know what it’d be like if we were to never get together – of it were to stay the way it always was. Friendly – a common, best friend relationship. Not this messed up thing we have now. But as I sit here in silence now, my mum and Jay gone out for the entire day, calling to say they’ll be back later tonight, and Louis and the guys out somewhere – the pain in my stomach kept churning. I disliked this silence. I got to my feet and headed towards the kitchen.

Did Louis really mean what he said to me?

I prayed silently that it was just a surge of the moment – he couldn’t have meant it….could he? Best friends just don’t say that to each other, it’s insensitive and uncaring and hardly like Louis at all. But something about it was so painfully true, I was thankful.

The words he had said: you would take anything you could get…they kept replaying in my head over and over till a point where it was almost annoying. I wanted it to stop, but at the same time I didn’t, because even when he was angry Louis’ voice was attractive.

I flicked the kettle on, and let the noise eliminate the silence. When it flicked off, I filled my cut speedily, and quickly went back to the living room. Silence once again littered the room. Suddenly, and without any warning whatsoever, my eyes dropped, and yawned. At two o’clock in the afternoon, I’d usually be fully awake, but the lack of activity was making me drowsy.

I finished my cup of tea quickly before heading up to my room. I collapsed onto my bed, even though I knew I’d have to move for mum later. I groaned, rolled over, and kicked off my shoes blindly. Once satisfied with my comfort, I lapsed easily into a pit of over-darkened shadows.

And the dreams found me.

Louis POV: Safety

I grabbed my keys out of my pocket hazily, ignoring the twisting and the slicing shooting out from my stomach.

I shoved the key into the lock and stepped through, shutting the door and relocking it. The house was silent, and it felt empty. I sat my keys on the bench, and headed to the living room. It was empty. I frowned, eyebrows lowering. Where was Harry?

I shuffled up the stairs, heading into my bedroom, throwing my jacket onto the bed for mum to put away later. I whipped out my phone, expecting to see a text from Harry, but it screen was empty too. I sighed heavily, still insanely pissed off at myself.

Why had I said that to Harry? It was half true…yet I’d never mean it at all. I shouldn’t have ever said that to him – what kind of best friend was I? At the moment, I didn’t even know if we still stood as best friends. I can’t even believe we got ourselves into this situation.

 I walked out of my bedroom and back down the hall when I heard the sound. It was far too familiar, so soft and soothing and graceful. It was a beautiful sound – heavenly, and something I wish I could wake up next to ever day. Harry was asleep.