Chapter 17 - Zealous to help

Start from the beginning

"Ok, let me try." I took a blank piece of paper and drew a spell circle in the air. A cloud of blue smoke appeared and I was holding a birth certificate with my own name in my hand. Maintaining the illusion took more concentration than I would have wanted but I should be able to keep it going for as long as I need to.

"Wow, your magic is truly impressive." Camila said, looking at the certificate.

"Thank you, but that's not even a complex spell. On the other hand, I'm not sure if I will be able to hold both this illusion and make my ears appear round."

"Don't worry, I don't think that will be a problem, you can either adjust your hairstyle to cover them or just tell everyone the truth, that you were born like that and they should accept it. There are people with six fingers in their hands, so pointy ears can be a possibility as well."

"I will trust your judgment." I responded.

"Ok, now that you have everything, we can go to the city hall and register you." Camila peeked into the other room; "Luz, we are going to the city hall with Amity, do you want to join us?"

"Nah, I think I will stay at home, in the meantime I can prepare lunch."

We got into the car and drove to the city center. The ride was still stressful for me, especially since Luz wasn't here this time. I think it will take me a while to get used to cars. However terrifying, cars are fast. We reached our destination in no time. I took a look at the city hall and noticed how vast it is. The last time I visited a city hall it didn't end well, but I hoped this time things will be different. Camila helped me to find the right room in the building but she didn't go in with me. Since we weren't related in any way I had to do it alone.

Taking a last look I made sure that the illusion is holding on and it did. I walked to the desk and took a seat. Luckily, the clerk turned out to be helpful and carefully walked me through the process of applying for ID. He checked my certificate, typed the details into his computer, and even apologized for the mess in the system. I was told that I can pick up my ID next week. I walked out of the room and was immediately greeted by Camila.

"Already done? That was fast."

"Yep, it was easy, everything should be ready by next week."

"Excellent, I was worried that something will go wrong. Now the only thing we have to do is get you enrolled in the school. Though I think you will have to make up some school certificates."

"Not a problem, I'm more worried about being behind with knowledge compared to everyone, I'm still not too good in this whole human realm stuff."

"I'm sure you will figure it out, maybe ask Luz to do something with you before school. She never was a diligent student, but I think the possibility of doing something with you will be enough to hook her in."

"You think so?" I was a bit perplexed by what Camila meant by that.

"I'm sure of it."

"If you say so." I said and we headed toward the exit. After half an hour we were home in which every room was filled with a delightful smell. Luz is probably finishing lunch, I wonder what she prepared.

Around noon we sat all together once again for lunch. It's the first time I enjoy eating with someone, no pressure, just normal conversations. It feels kinda magical, I hope it would work the same way in the Blight Manor. Sadly, it never did, the only mildly enjoyable meals were with Lilith during training breaks, though it was still more official than I would have preferred.

As everything here the Albondigas that Luz prepared were delicious. I have to get a few cooking lessons one day and learn how to do all those wonders.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------