Chapter XXII. Breach of trust

Depuis le début

"Can I borrow that pin?" Hanje asked and Theia placed the weapon on the table.

"Do you want to use a thunder spear with a similar mechanism?" Hanje nodded, still looking at Theia's weapon.

"Who created such perfect weapons for a specialized unit?" Theia sat down in a chair and looked around Hanji's office, which needed some cleaning.

"Theodor Heering. Co-founder of the specialized unit," Theia looked away. "Did you talk to the father? Is he really going to participate in the expedition?" Hanje smiled and placed Theia's weapon on the table.

"I'm rather surprised that you are not going to participate to protect him," Hanje leaned against her desk as Theia lowered her gaze. "Four hundred soldiers transferred to the survey corps. You know best that the military garrison is losing its importance and you even resigned from a specialized unit. What do you want to do now?" For the first time, she could see Theia, speechless.

"I can't..."

"When do you think you can change things? Definitely not with hands in the pockets," Theia sadly looked away. "Erwin participates because he is aware that he is doing it for the good of humanity. You stay because?" Hanje paused and looked into Theia's undecided eyes. "Because Levi wants it?"

"He would feel that I betrayed him," Hanje rolled her eyes and smiled.

"Being his wife doesn't mean you've lost your free will. You always did exactly what you wanted and didn't look at others. You are Smith. And this fact is never going to change," she winked at her as Theia looked down with a smile. Hanje walked up to her and put a hand on her shoulder. "Levi will deal with it, but will you deal with yourself if you sit here while your loved ones fight and die? This battle is one of the greatest that humanity faces. We need you Theia," both women jumped in shock as Levi burst into the room along with Moblit who nervously ran around the table to grab some materials about the experiment, he had forgotten.

"Hey four eyes! What are you still doing here? Go to your place now!" Theia turned to a surprised Levi.

"Levi, please can I talk to you?" She addressed him as Moblit handed him the documents.

"I'm sorry, I know you wanted to tell me something, but I really don't have time right now..."

"Hey! Levi! Come here at once and hear what she has to say!" Theia's eyes widened at Hanji's serious voice as Levi sighed and stepped into the room. He crossed his arms over his chest and looked into Theia's eyes.

"I'm listening..." he urged her and Theia took a nervous breath.

"Levi, I know you won't be happy by my proposal, but I would like you to at least listen to me and..."

"Captains! Prime Minister Zachary is here! We have to leave immediately for the test!" She was interrupted by Moblit's urging voice, causing Levi to turn around in frustration. He returned his gaze to Theia and stroked her head.

"I'm sorry, I really have to go, but I promise that everything will be different after this expedition. Trust me," the door closed and she stood alone again. She exhaled angrily and clenched her fists. She felt so useless, invisible and alone. She had enough.

Trost District August 13, 2:10 p.m.

"Are you sure about that?"

"Absolutely sure,"

"Are you ready to die?

"I'm not going to die..." after her answer, Erwin smiled and signed the request for Theia Ackerman's transfer to the survey corps directly under the approval of the commander Pyxis.