Dying Star

They looked at the being. They looked at the skeleton whose magic was bright enough to light a room; bright like the sun. They looked at the guardian who did his best to protect positivity, if not outright enforce it. They looked at the skeleton who appeared to be adored by all. 

     They looked at the sunny skeleton and... 

     They. 

     Felt. 

     Nothing. 

     But. 

     Pity. 

     They could see it. How the constant cheer the bright guardian preached to everyone about wore him down. Could see how that only made the guardian push others, and himself, harder. The positive guardian desperately wanted to fulfill his role. Sometimes he pushed too much, other times he gave space for too long. 

     There was something desperate in the yellow clad skeleton's actions. Near animalistic at times, the way he clung to those he saw as close. 

     The sunshine guardian was seen as always happy, by most. But it seemed clear that at times, it would be so fake

     It wouldn't have surprised them if the guardian was forcing himself to be happy, putting on a front that fooled even himself. 

     The guardian was working himself to exhaustion, sometimes even in places that weakened him. Negativity was his kryptonite and he could manage to find someone's hope in the darkest places. He would help them, even to the detriment of himself. 

     Sometimes the guardian made things worse for those he was trying to help too. 

     The positive guardian's falseness seemed to crack when whatever was left of his brother, the negative guardian, said just the right thing. And the crack multiplied and those cracks grew. 

     At some point, the guardian started to push more happiness. The cracks burst into supernova, the cracks unnoticeable to those who got caught up in the blast. No one even realized that it happened. Maybe that was when he started becoming to fake. So false. A little toxic, even. 

     It was reminiscent of a dying star.