Chapter 5

Rhaenyra finished the final braid in Aemeryn's hair in silence. She had all but physically shoved the chambermaid from Aemeryn when she came in that morning. Rhaenyra was determined to help her daughter prepare herself for her wedding since her own mother was gone and never had the chance to do so.

Aemeryn fiddled with the necklace that decorated her neck. It was her favorite piece of jewelry she had ever received in her life- a necklace made of silver leaves with a single ruby teardrop at the end. It had been a gift from Ser Harwin on her sixth name day. Aemeryn allowed herself to be lost to the memory for just a moment while her mother was silent.

A knock had sounded on the door. Rhaenyra put her daughter down to see who was there. Ser Harwin stood there with a grin on his face and a box in his hands.

"Harwin!" Aemeryn squealed happily as she ran over to him. Harwin immediately bent down and picked up the running child.

"Happy name day, my girl. I got you something," he said as he shook the box at her. Aemeryn smiled happily and placed a kiss on his cheek.

"Oh thank you, Harwin!" He kissed her cheek back and put her down with the box. Harwin moved to stand next to her mother who was smiling at him.

Aemeryn opened the box quickly and pulled out the necklace with a smile. It was one of the most beautiful things she had ever seen in her life. She looked over at her mother and Ser Harwin. Her mother was looking between the necklace and Ser Harwin in shock.

"Where did you get that?" She asked softly. Harwin shrugged and winked at her mother.

"Thank you, Harwin. I love it!" Aemeryn yelled as she ran over to give him another hug. "I love you," she added softly into his ear.

"And I love you, my girl," he whispered right back.

"Aemeryn?" Aemeryn turned and looked at her mother over her shoulder before turning fully. "What are you thinking about, sweet girl?"

"Harwin," Aemeryn answered honestly. Rhaenyra smiled sadly as she glanced at the necklace again.

"I'm sorry, Em."

"For what, Mother?"

Rhaenyra ran her hand over Aemeryn's hair carefully before she spoke again. "You have to marry...."

"The Targaryen cyclops?" Aemeryn grinned at her mother's annoyed expression. "I'll be fine, Mother. We all have a duty to do."

Rhaenyra scoffed and shook her head. She stood suddenly, and Aemeryn followed suit. Her grin faded as she watched her mother pace in front of the window. Apparently Rhaenyra was taking it harder than she knew.

"My daughter should marry someone that loves her. I've seen how the two of you look at each other. There is no love in Aemond's eyes."

"We have hated each other for seven years." Rhaenyra stopped her pacing and stared at Aemeryn. Aemeryn's eyes grew when she realized her slip up.

"Seven years?" Rhaenyra's voice was deathly quiet. "Aemeryn, what do you mean by seven years?"

"Aemeryn?" Daemon asked from behind her. Aemeryn turned to look at her father and smiled softly. "You look beautiful. Black?" Daemon pointed at the dress that was to be her wedding dress. Aemeryn glanced at her mother's stony expression and turned in a circle so Daemon could see it.

The dress was indeed all black. It was fitted where it needed to be, but was a sweetheart style with peasant sleeves that were off the shoulder. The sides of her silver blonde hair were pulled back and braided down her back while the rest of her hair was in loose curls. Daemon looked at her with nothing but love in his eyes.