Chapter 16

Rhaenyra braided Aemeryn's hair in silence. Her hands shook slightly as she thought about both her daughter and husband going into battle later in the day, but she would never mention her nerves to them. She knew that they were going to go no matter what.

Rhaenys would be joining them both, but that brought little comfort to Rhaenyra. She knew that Rhaenys wasn't her biggest fan and was only doing this for Baela and Rhaena. Rhaenys loved Aemeryn in her own way; the way in which everyone loved Aemeryn. That love had never extended to Rhaenyra's sons that Laenor had raised.

Rhaenyra hummed as she tied off the war braid that held the front and sides of Aemeryn's hair back while the rest was down. Aemeryn had inherited that from her. She pressed a kiss to the back of Aemeryn's head and stood.

The door to Aemeryn's chambers flew open, and Jace and Joffrey came running in. Aemeryn barely had time to catch Joffrey as he launched himself into her arms. It was obvious he had been crying, and he hugged Aemeryn tightly.

"Don't go, Em," he begged into her ear. Aemeryn sighed and hugged him just as tightly. She shot a look at her mother and Jace before looking at Joffrey as best as she could.

"I have to, Joff. Kepa can't fight them all off with just Caraxes."

"That's why Grandmother is going." Jace smirked at their brother's reply. "And he has Lord Strong and his men too."

"She's going because she flies the largest dragon other than Vhagar," Jace said as he grew tired of his brother's whining. "Size matters, Joff."

"Jacaerys!" Rhaenyra scolded as she smacked his arm. Joffrey looked to them in confusion as Jace and Aemeryn began to laugh. Rhaenyra sighed and reached for her youngest son with Harwin. "Your brother is correct. Daemon feels that dragons will help them win this battle. He also fights better with your sister by his side."

"Does he want dragons in case Aemond shows up?"

It was an innocent question, but Aemeryn felt herself pale anyway. Rhaenyra and Jace both looked at her as soon as the words left Joffrey's lips. Rhaenyra already knew that Aemeryn would not kill Aemond if he was on that battlefield with them. She could only hope Aemond felt the same way. She didn't know her brother as well as her daughter did.

Jace walked over to Aemeryn and held his hand out. She took it, and he pulled her up quickly.

"I'm still jealous that you get the really cool armor," Jace whispered with a grin to distract her. Aemeryn glanced down at the armor that matched her father's. It was the deepest black with the Targaryen sigil in the middle of the breastplate. Dragon scales were carved into the metal to give it the look of dragon skin, and her helmet was shaped like a dragon's head with black feathers going down the center to mimic a dragon tail.

"I still hate the helmet," Aemeryn whispered back as she grabbed it from its spot on the bed.

Rhaenyra walked over to her daughter and pulled her into a hug. "Fly strong. Fly sure. Fly safe," she whispered as she pressed kisses to her temple. Aemeryn nodded and walked out with Jace.

"You're not mad that I get to fight, and you don't?" Aemeryn asked as she bumped shoulders with Jace. He scowled at her and sighed.

"I understand that someone needs to be here to protect the family while Daemon is gone. Maybe I can join you in the next battle."

"You're awfully excited to possibly meet the Stranger, Jace."

"Luke always swore you had a death wish. Maybe we both do." Aemeryn looked at her brother and smiled sadly as they finished their walk to the courtyard.