Chapter 24

Aemond stood behind his wife silently. He felt like he was intruding, but he wasn't about to leave her alone. They had no clue if this truly was the long dead Harwin Strong, or if Decran was truly mad.

"Answer the question, Strong," Aemeryn growled out again. The man in front of them let out another sigh and turned to Susanna.

"Leave us." Susanna nodded once and left the now destroyed library. Strong turned back to Aemeryn and looked at her sadly.

"How do we know that you're truly Harwin Strong?" Aemond voiced his running thoughts aloud. Aemeryn frowned. She hadn't even thought about how he would prove he was Harwin.

"Your favorite book was The Tiny Dragon until you were five."

"Harwin could have told anyone that. Try again," Aemeryn muttered as she pressed herself closer to Aemond. It was Aemond's turn to frown. He didn't know that had been her favorite book for years. Aemond shifted his gaze back to Strong when he ran his fingers through his curls in frustration.

"When you were seven, you decided to beat Aegon up on the training yard. He had mentioned something about Jace and Luke being bastards, and you lost your mind. I was busy training Luke on how to use his fists like I had taught Jace and you, and I wasn't paying close attention to what you were doing. One moment, you were sword fighting with Jace, and the next you were sliding between Aegon's legs to jump him."

Aemond smirked as Strong told the story. He remembered that day well and had given Aegon grief for years over being beat up by Aemeryn. She had kicked his legs out from under him to jump on his back to punch his head.

"Many people saw that happen, Strong."

"Once I pulled you off of Aegon's back and sat you on the ground, you were terrified that I was going to tell Rhaenyra what had happened." Aemeryn stared at the man in front of her. No one knew what was said in that conversation except for Harwin and herself. She had sworn him to secrecy. "I told you that I would never tell your mother what had happened that day because I wasn't going to snitch on my girl." Aemond went as still as Aemeryn. He remembered that Harwin hadn't told Rhaenyra what had happened; he simply said that Aegon probably did something to anger her. "When I left, I took you to the side after I said goodbye to your mother and brothers. I told you to be my strong girl while I was gone, that your momma and brothers would need you. I promised you that I would see you again, and that I loved you more than anything and that I was proud to be your father."

Aemeryn blinked, and the tears finally fell down her cheeks. Aemond gripped her shoulder softly as they stared at Harwin. She knew it was Harwin because no one knew about those conversations. No one. She had never even told Aemond what he had said to her when he left.

"I mourned you. I cried myself to sleep nightly for a year after I heard you died," Aemeryn cried out through clenched teeth. "I missed you every day for eight years!"

"It had to be this way, my girl. I had to protect you all," Harwin whispered. Hearing his nickname for her on his lips again caused something to break in her. Aemeryn rushed to him and beat at his chest and shoulders with her fists. There was no malice in the punches, and they didn't hurt, but she didn't know what else to do. Harwin simply let her punch him a few times before he wrapped his arms around her and crushed her to his chest. Aemeryn sobbed openly as he pressed his cheek to the top of her head.

"Who else has to die for me to get you back? Laenor, Laena, and supposedly you died for me to get Daemon. Who has to supposedly die?" Harwin frowned and glanced at Aemond. What was she going on about?

"No one has to die, Em. I promise. It's going to be okay."

Aemond simply stood and stared. Which Hell had he woke up in for this twist of events? Harwin Strong had faked his death all those years ago. For what?