Chapter 33

Aemeryn sat silently while Aemond braided her hair. He braided four braids on her crown that lead into a single braid down her back. The rest of her hair was left to flow freely down her back. Her silver hair was a stark contrast to the deep red of the gown she was wearing. She had fallen in love with the gown when Rhaenyra had brought it to her at the beginning of the week. It was off the shoulder that led into peasant sleeves. The gown was a deep red that resembled blood with black filigree that formed a dragon on the front. A knock on the door caused both of them to turn before Aemond spoke up.

"Come in!"

Rhaenyra pushed the door open and smiled softly at them both. Aemond had opted for his usual black tunic, pants, and shoes, but he was still handsome standing behind Aemeryn. Rhaenyra noticed that his hair was pulled back with a braid instead of how he normally pulled it back, and she knew that Aemeryn had forced him to let her braid it.

"Baela is asking for you, Em." Aemeryn frowned and looked up at Aemond. Baela rarely ever asked Aemeryn for anything; she always relied on Rhaena. Aemond helped Aemeryn stand, and she walked to Rhaenyra. "Jace is asking for you, Aemond."

It was Aemond's turn to frown. What could Jace want with him? He walked over to where Aemeryn and Rhaenyra were standing in the doorway and placed his hand on Aemeryn's back. Aemond pressed a kiss to her temple before sliding past them both and stalking down the hallway.

Rhaenyra took Aemeryn's hand in her own and led her down the hallway to where Baela was getting dressed. Baela turned when the door opened and sighed when she saw the two women enter. Her hair was piled on top of her head in a curly bun. Aemeryn smiled softly when she saw the her sister had chosen a white wedding gown to wear today. The back was open, and the top was lace to the mermaid gown that covered her body. She looked absolutely beautiful but terrified.

"What's going on, Baela?"

"Rhaena, why don't you come with me?" Rhaenyra asked as she held her hand out for her stepdaughter. Rhaena quickly walked over to her and the two left the room.

Baela groaned and sat down on the bed. Aemeryn arched her brow and closed the door before walking over to her.

"Were you scared to get married?" Baela whispered almost like she was ashamed. Aemeryn grinned and sat down next to her.

"Are you forgetting I was on runaway watch? Of course I was terrified. It didn't help that the King of the Seven Kingdoms was personally responsible for my marriage." Baela looked over and grinned at Aemeryn. "Are you scared to marry Jace?"

"I think I'm just scared to get married. I thought it would be after the war at the very least."

"Driftmark needs its rulers again," Aemeryn said with a small shrug. "I think this war will be over soon, Baela. Everyone but Kepa has run out of fight."

                                                                                                   -------

"You called?" Aemond asked as he walked into Jace's chambers. Jace and Daemon both turned, and Aemond froze. Daemon and Aemond began to size each other up almost immediately, and Jace let out a groan.

"Can you two do this later? Daemon, I need to talk to Aemond." Daemon looked over to his stepson with a barely concealed glare before he stalked out of the room. His shoulder connected with Aemond's, but Aemond wouldn't give him the satisfaction of a reaction. He simply shut the door once Daemon had left.

"What do you want, Jace?"

Jace stared at the floor silently. He kept clenching and unclenching his fists, and Aemond was almost certain he was going to swing on him. Jace kept his gaze on the floor when he finally spoke.