Chapter 16 - United once again

Start from the beginning

"Take it slowly sis, you can crash in the Owl House or what's left of it. We will move it somewhere safer, everything will be fine." As much of a pain as Lilith was for all these years, I couldn't abandon her now, she risked everything to save me, she lost everything to save me. Not that I want to say that it is too little too late, but I can at least directly repay with help.

Firstly, I have to take care of Lilith, then I have to find a way to break King and Hooty out of prison, move the house, and improve its defenses. A lot of things to do, and without magic, it will be even harder. I help Lilith with a few more breathing exercises. She calmed down a little, at least she isn't mumbling to herself all the time. We have to move no matter what, I can already hear the guards in the conformatorium preparing a search party.

We walk deeper into the forest and Lily starts to regain her senses. She finally overcame the worst part of her panic attack. At least I hope so, I think that the fact that she started thinking clearly is a good sign. She handed me Owlbert and took out her own staff.

"Here, take it,  it will be easier to escape while flying."

"Sure thing, just don't fall off your staff, I will need your magic to move the Owl House, let's fly then."

We both got on our staffs and flew towards Bonesborough. Honestly, I missed Owlbert during those weeks in a cell. It would be so perfect if King was here, darn it, even Hooty. And then there was Luz, I can't forget about her. I have to notify her when we will be all set up and safe.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mom, we need to talk."

My mom looked at me, not even surprised by my words. "We indeed do. What's going on Luz?"

"Well, Amity made me realize I shouldn't avoid talking, so..."

"I'm here for you Luz."

"The main issue is that you weren't here for me when I needed it. Did it ever cross your mind why I left? I was alone, had no friends, you were the only person I could depend on and here you were, trying to send me off to a camp for weird kids."

"I-"

"You wanted to know what's bugging me, here you go. On the Boiling Isles, I was free for the first time, no one judged me for who I was, and I even made some friends, but now I'm stuck here, back in this cursed realm."

"Luz, I had no idea... I'm so sorry..."

"I know you are, but it hurts nonetheless."

"Please, tell me what to do to help you then."

"I'm not even sure, just accept who I am and that I won't change, I will try to be more open as well..."

"Of course Luz, I'm aware it won't fix the rift between us immediately, but I'm glad that you are willing to give me a chance. Come here, let me hug you, like good old times."

I slowly stepped toward my mom and embraced her. It really was like good all times, good all times when dad was still with us and everything seemed easier...

"You know what Mom, maybe let's make it like good new times, and try to leave some of the past in the past."

"Of course cariño, of course."

We stood there, hugging, until I smelled burning enchiladas. My mom rushed to turn off the oven and save as many as possible, luckily they didn't burn too badly but the smell was in the whole house now. It was so intense that even Amity came downstairs to check what was happening.

"Amity, it's good to see you, dinner is ready if you are interested." My mom said while putting the food on separate plates. We sat together and ate. I was joyous that I could sit with my mom and not feel guilty. There was still a ton of work ahead of us but we were off to a good start. The enchiladas were delightful, and the variety of foods is one of the only things I missed on the Boiling Isles.