Chapter 4.

Percy's Pov.

We've been walking for four day's now. I'm hungry. We've had to resort to stealing. It's cold out. So cold. I'm starting to lose hope. Hope, for finding a safe place to stay. Hope, for getting contents in my stomach. Hope, for staying alive. Even though we steal food, we can never take a lot, for fear of getting found out. I can't imagine what would happen if we got found out. I bet I'd get taken back to Gabe, and Leo, back to foster care. The idea of going back to Gabe scares me. Who knows what he'd do if he discovered me, if I had to go back to him. I'm numb. My mind is numb, from the pain, my body is numb, from the pain. I'm tired. I haven't gotten a good night's sleep in what feels like forever, even though it's only been a couple of days. I know Leo's not doing much better. I'm afraid that if we don't find a safe haven soon, we'll die. Whether it's from getting discovered and beaten to death, or if it's by the cold and starvation. I don't think we can do this much longer. We're just two helpless twelve year old's, trapped in the web of life, but soon the spider called death will eat us, and all of the pain and suffering will go away. I shake the depressing thoughts from my mind. We will survive. We have to. Then again, I might get to see my mom again. I'd do anything to see her again, but I'm not ready to die yet, and besides, my mom would be so disappointed in me. I wouldn't be able to bear the sad looks she would give me. I feel sadness well up inside me, thinking about my mother. I have to stop thinking. These thoughts will kill me if I let them. So, I let my mind drift, to happier things, happier places, happier times. (A/N that's like, the most depressing thing I've ever written. Btw, there'll probably be a lot of Pov changes in this chapter, so if you don't like, I'm sorry.)

Leo's Pov

I could tell that Percy was slipping into depression. Then again, I could't really blame him. He may be older (By a few months) than me, but I'm the one who got him into this mess, and I'm determined to get him out of this mess. That's when I see it. A house. It look's old and abandoned. It's on a beach near the water, so I can't imagine why anyone would abandon it, but it's the perfect place to stay. It looks like it might've once been a cabin that used to be rented out, but now just stands there, being a giant pile of wood with gaps in it. Perfect. I sneak a peak at Percy, and his eyes are wide and he's staring at it. "Is- is this Montauk beach?" he stutters out. "I think so. Why?" I ask him. "My mom owned property on Montauk beach, me and her used to come here every summer, just the two of us. It's where she met my dad, too. We had been coming here for a family reunion, when we crashed and she died. I never thought I'd see this place again. And I can't believe how down it looks. Sure, I knew my mom would come up here to check on it once in a while and all, but just, wow. We could stay here. My mom owned it and besides, we've been breaking a lot of laws the past few days anyway. So, even if it's not the place I think it is-pretty sure it is-we can stay here anyway." Percy replies. I shrug. Why not? Percy starts toward the cabin with a renewed energy. He tries the door, but it doesn't budge. He looks despaired, then he tries something. He goes up to a purple flower in a vase beside the door, and puts his hand in it. He digs around there for a bit, before bringing his hand out and grinning. In between his index and thumb, is a dirty -but still shiny- key. He inserts it into the lock, turns it slowly, and grins. He then proceed to push open the door. Looks like we found a place to stay. Percy hesitantly enters, and I follow after.

 Percy's Pov.

Finally! A stroke of luck. I wonder if the water still works. I go over to a sink, and pull up on the handle. To my surprise, water comes rushing out the faucet! I grin. Working water, means showers. Showers is the second step to feeling better! The first is sleep. I turn to Leo, who had just relocked the door. The water works. "You thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?" I ask. "Showers, sleep, find community jobs to buy food?" replies Leo. "Right on the dot." I answer. He grins. "First things first. Sleep. Then in the morning we'll take a shower, and try to wash our clothes-" He starts, but I cut him off. "Actually, we can go to my room here, and I should have some clothes here, and we're about the same size. I'm a little taller than you, so the clothes will probably be a bit big on you, but you can borrow some of mine." I say. He grins and nods. "Thanks Perce" He says. "No problem buddy. So we sleep, the shower, then get a change of clothes, and we can sign up for a public school-" I start. "Wait, wait, wait. Why exactly are we signing up to go to school?" Leo cuts me off. "Well, we have to finish school to get a good job when we grow up." I point out. "Oh. That makes sense." He says. then as an after thought, he adds "Then we'll go looking for the community jobs." He says. "Alright." I reply. "I'll show you to your room. It's right across the hall from mine. It" I swallow. "It used to be my moms room. Don't touch any of her stuff. I'll clear that out tomorrow, or whenever I have time. But it'll be soon" I tell him. He gives me a thumbs up and follows me up the stairs to his room. I tell him where the bathroom is, where my room is, and then I go to my room, collapse on my bed, and go to the well needed sleep.