Chapter 2: Going into Hiding

After making the deal that completely backfired on him, Franklin Blaze ran away from home and Gotham City and then spent the next 18 years in hiding, finding anything he can to survive. Riding his motorcycle from city to city to find somewhere to live but everytime he finds a place to live, he could only live there for a short amount of time before being evicted and kicked out and he is off riding his motorcycle again to find somewhere else. After several evictions, Franklin ends up living off the grid surviving on whatever he could find. After turning 34, Franklin has officially forgotten what it feels like to live in a building instead of on the streets. On one particular day, Franklin is riding around the streets of Central City, trying to find somewhere to eat. He eventually finds himself in front of what appears to be some kind of cafe.

"Jitters, huh? Well, I'm gonna need something to eat so I'll take anything." Franklin says to himself as he then parks his motorcycle and heads inside.

Inside the cafe, Franklin finds it almost full to the brim with people, even the line to the counter was very long.

"Must be a very popular place." Franklin says to himself.

Despite the long line, it shortened fairly quickly and after about five minutes, Franklin was now at the counter where a waitress was taking his order.

"Hi, welcome to Jitters Cafe, how can I help you?" The waitress asks.

"Yes, I would like just a Coffee please." Franklin says.

"Would that be a normal coffee or the flash coffee?" The waitress asks.

"Flash coffee?" Franklin asks in confusion.

"Why yes. The coffee is named after our city hero, The Flash." The waitress informs.

"I see. But I would just like a normal coffee." Franklin says.

"Ok. That'll be 2.95 sir." The waitress says.

Franklin then takes 3 dollars out of his pocket and gives it to the waitress and in no time, he is given his coffee. He then goes and sits at one of the smaller tables and drinks his coffee. He then glances at one of the three TVs that were hung on the walls and a news report is being aired.

"In other news, Our one of only Flash has saved the city again after aiding the Central City Police against notorious criminals, Captain Cold and Heatwave." The newsperson says.

"He sure sounds like a hero but the names for these criminals are ridiculous." Franklin says to himself.

A moment passes by and Franklin finishes his coffee and prepares to leave when he accidentally bumps into someone.

"Oh dear, I'm so sorry." Franklin apologies.

"No it's alright. It was my fault." The person says.

The person Franklin bumped into is a woman.

"Name's Caitlin." Caitlin greets.

"Franklin." Franklin greets.

"Sorry for the intrusion but I must go. Find somewhere to rest up." Franklin says.

"Oh, are you visiting Central City?" Caitlin asks.

"Not exactly. I've kinda been riding from city to city finding a place to live but I never can stay anywhere for long." Franklin explains.

"Sorry for bringing that up. Where are you from?" Caitlin asks.

"I'm originally from Gotham City." Franklin says.

"You're quite a ways away from your home city." Caitlin points out.

"Yeah well 18 years can give a lot of time to move around the country." Franklin says which gives Caitlin a surprise.

"18 years? What made you stay away for so long?" Caitlin asks.

Franklin then sighs.

"To put it in a simpler format, I made a mistake that resulted in my parents getting killed. So I ran off." Franklin explains.

"Oh my god." Caitlin says in shock.

"And ever since then I've been moving from place to place and always being evicted for some reason. Now I'm pretty much a homeless person trying to find his footing." Franklin explains.

"My god, I am so sorry you had to go through that." Caitlin says.

"It's alright." Franklin assures.

"Have you ever thought about going back to Gotham?" Caitlin asks.

"No. No I have not. I'm just afraid to face the past." Franklin says as he closes his eyes in shame.

"Well, a friend of mine once told me that you can't let go of your past until you face it." Caitlin advises.

"You think so?" Franklin asks.

"I believe it. Maybe if you believe it, it might help." Caitlin says.

"I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the advice." Franklin says.

"No problem." Caitlin says before walking towards the counter.

"Yeah, no problem." Franklin says to himself before walking out of the cafe.

Unknown to him, Caitlin was watching him leave the cafe with a look of sympathy.

That night, Franklin manages to find an alleyway to settle down for the night. Sleep seems to be something Franklin is having a hard time getting since Caitlin advice keeps going on inside his mind.

"Face your past? Would that really help?" Franklin wonders as he continues to try and sleep.

Suddenly a mysterious fog rolls in and envelopes Franklin, ridding him of his sight. The fog then slowly dissipates but not completely since Franklin can't see anything outside the alleyway. What he could see were two shadowland figures amidst the fog. The figures were human in shape and they appeared to be walking towards Franklin. Franklin had nowhere to run since he was against the wall so he couldn't really back up.

After moving a few feet though, the figures suddenly stop.

"Franklin?!" One of the shadows asks.

"What?" Franklins asks himself in confusion.

"Franklin, it's us." The other shadow says.

The voices then become recognizable to Franklin.

"Mom? Dad?" Franklin asks.

"We don't blame you for our impending death, son. You wanted the best for us and we can't hate you for that." Franklin's mom says.

"But we wonder why you ran away from me our home, Franklin. Why?" Franklin's dad asks.

"Your death scared me out and I didn't want to face the reality of what the situation was." Franklin admits.

"We understand Franklin but it's time to face the mistakes of your past." Franklin's mom advises.

"Your mother is right, son. It's time to stand up to the past and conquer it." Franklin's dad says.

Franklin knows they're right but is still unsure about returning to Gotham City.

"You're right. It's time I return and set things right." Franklin says, making his decision.

"That's all we wanted to hear. Make the right decision and we'll be proud for that." Franklin's dad says before the fog clears, Franklin's parents disappearing with it.

Franklin decides that sleep can wait and he then hops onto his motorcycle and rides off, ready to face the mistakes he made all those years ago.