Chapter 59 | defining their romance

Start from the beginning

His snoring was like a chainsaw to my ears.

I already had a lot on my plate to worry about.

Yet, his snoring was going to be the death of me.

As I lay there, contemplating whether to ask him to sleep on the couch or get lost in nature, Dwain suddenly let out a loud snort and briskly woke up.

He stirred awake, his eyelids fluttering open to reveal the most stunning shade of navy blue, as moonlight danced across his face to cast a delicate glow that illuminated his athletic features.

I watched in awe as he stretched his gorgeous arms and the muscles at his chest rippled like aquatic waves with every calculated movement.

His hair, tousled from sleep, framed his face in a way that made my legs shake.

He blinked and looked around, confused for a very brief moment before realizing where the heck he was.

If I were him, I would have recognized my room at first glance.

I just loved the innocence on his face as he cleared his eyes from sleep.

As Dwain adjusted himself to face me with a sleepy smile, my attraction to him grew stronger than the earth's gravitational pull.

I was carelessly pulled to the center of his heart.

Knowing that every day with him was a gift, I cherished the little things about him.

"Little nutshell," he muttered, rubbing his puffy baby blue eyes as he caught a glimpse of my pale face and scattered hair. "Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you up."

I smiled, shaking my head at his cuteness. "It's okay. I'm not sleeping anyway."

He furrowed a brow and rose to sit on the bed whilst taking a glance at his watch. "Why is that? Is something bothering you? Would you mind sharing?"

Worry was etched on his face.

He was frowning.

My eyes darted around the room in shameless guilt.

He would be mad if he learned that I couldn't sleep because of the questions he had promised to give answers to when the right time comes.

Also, I didn't want to trouble him with the fact that he was snoring.

He sensed the hesitation and reached out to gently brush a strand of hair from my forehead.

His touch was light and soothing.

I gulped, more guilt strangling my throat.

I was hiding a lot of things from him which made my heart beat.

I feared rejection, though I was impersonating someone else.

I was impersonating Elisabeth, the love of his life.

No, I was impersonating Elisabeth, the ex-love of his life.

I was the current love of his life.

He loved Ellis, yes, he loved me.

It wasn't easy to breathe.

I was suffocating in silence with restraints.

I wished I could just reveal my true self to him.

But I couldn't.

I just couldn't.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

His voice was soft and gentle.

I licked my quivering lips and sighed, before snuggling closer to him and resting my head on his chest. "I can't sleep."