Just when I was about to help, Jeff did. He stabbed his spear in the Griever's body as Minho quickly crawled away from it.

"What's the sequence? Come on!" Thomas panicked while Minho still tried to escape.

"Six! Four! Eight! Three! You got it?"

Teresa typed it in and the doors started to close, but Jeff was still attached to his spear while the Griever tossed around.

"Jeff!" I screamed, but all the Grievers surrounded him as the doors slid closed.

Then we fell.

~

I felt a weird feeling in my stomach when I dropped onto the ground, Minho helping me up.

"You okay, Shebean?"

"Yeah, thanks." I sighed and looked around.

We arrived in an empty hallway, lights flickering. My heart rate went up and I was afraid of what would happen. My task was still not complete, so what would they do? Imagine if they would control me again!

We followed Thomas through the hallway in silence until we arrived in front of a door with the letters 'exit' on it.

"Seriously?" Frypan scoffed. He was right. Couldn't those creators think of something more original?

Thomas moved his hand to the door handle carefully, in case it would have electricity on it or something, but when he grabbed it, nothing happened. He opened the door, revealing another hallway.

People dressed in white lay on the ground, blood coming from their heads and chests. They were shot.

I grabbed Chuck's hand again, and together we walked through the scary hallway until we arrived in a bigger room.

Screens were everywhere, images of the Glade on them. "So they were watching us," Newt muttered.

Glass and more blood were on the ground, making me shiver. We all inspected the strange room for a while until I heard a beep. A bigger screen appeared, and a blonde woman too.

"Ava," I whispered, remembering her from my memories.

"Hello." She talked. "My name is Doctor Ava Paige."

I was right. It was Ava.

"I'm Director of Operations of the World Catastrophe Killzone Department."

WICKED. I was also right about that.

"If you're watching this, that means you have successfully completed the Maze Trials. I wish I could be there in person to congratulate you... But circumstances seem to have prevented it. I'm sure by now, you must all be very confused... angry... frightened."

You can say that louder.

"I can only assure you, that everything that's happened to you... everything we've done to you... it was all done for a reason." She explained. "You won't remember... but the Sun has scorched our world. Billions of lives lost to fire... famine... suffering on a global scale."

Pictures of deserts and a bright sun were shown. "The fallout was unimaginable. What came after was worse. We called it the Flare."

My breathing got stuck in my throat when I saw horrible images of a screaming man, his veins blacker than ever. It reminded me of Dave.. Ben.. and Alby.

"A deadly virus that attacks the brain. It is violent... unpredictable... incurable. Or so we thought. In time, a new generation emerged that could survive the virus. Suddenly, there was a reason to hope for a cure. But finding it would not be easy. The young would have to be tested, even sacrificed... inside harsh environments... where their brain activity could be studied. All in an effort to understand... what makes them different... what makes you different. You may not realize it... but you're very important."

As Ava talked, men dressed in uniforms ran into the background. They started shooting the doctors that walked there.

"Unfortunately, your trials have only just begun. As you will no doubt soon discover, not everyone agrees with our methods. Progress is slow, people are scared. It may be too late for us... for me... but not for you. The outside world awaits. Remember..." She pulled out a gun, making me freeze.

"WICKED is good." Then she pulled the trigger. I flinched and looked down, not wanting to see the horror.

"Is it over?" Chuck whispered when a door opened from a distance.

"She said we were important," Newt replied.

"What are we supposed to do now?"

"Let's get out of here." Thomas took a step toward the hallway but got interrupted.

"No."

We all spun around and there he stood. Gally. Tears were in his black eyes and he held a gun, his hands shaking.

"Gally?" Thomas moved closer, but Teresa stopped him by holding out her hand.

"Don't. He's been stung."

Gally shook his head. "We can't leave."

"We did. Gally, we're out." I assured him. "We're free."

"Free? You think we're free out there?" Gally pointed his gun at me. "No. No, there's no escape from this place."

"Gally, you're not thinking well. We can help, just put down the gun." My voice was shakier than I wanted it to be.

"I belong to the maze." Gally cried out. "We all do."

Then it all went very fast. Chuck jumped in front of me, Gally pulled the trigger and Minho threw his spear at Gally. It landed right in the boy's chest. He gasped for air, slowly dropping down on his knees. Shocked I stared at the lifeless Gally, until Chuck talked.

"Jane..." I heard next to me.

I turned my head to look at Chuck, who stared at a red spot forming in his chest. He was shot.

"Chuck," I whispered as I caught the boy and gently lay him on the ground, tears forming in my eyes already. Chuck couldn't die. I promised that we would stay together!

"Hold on," I ordered, a tear falling.

"Janey.." Chuck held up his wooden figure, which was a bit dirty by now.

"No, no." I shook my head. "You're going to give it to them yourself."

"Take it.. please." Chuck panted. I let out a sob as I took the figure out of Chuck's hand. The fact Chuck wouldn't make it slowly got through my head.

"Stay awake, Chuck." I cried. "We promised. You promised."

"Thank you, Jane.. thank you," Chuck whispered.

"No, Chuck. You will-."

But he exhaled, eyes turning lifeless.

Then my whole world fell apart, my heart breaking into pieces as all the memories I had with Chuck came back. Pranking people, bickering, him yelling at me for cuddling with the boys, his sweetness, how funny he was... all of it.

"Chuck?" I cried, hoping so badly he would just open his eyes and say something funny.. like always. "Chuck, wake up. Come on!"

The tears streamed down my face like a waterfall. I felt so alone.. alone like never before. I couldn't go further without Chuck! My best friend..
my brother.

"Wake up!" I started to get angry and upset at the same time. It was WICKED! It was all their fault.

"Come on, Chuck. Please." I sobbed in his bleeding chest, not even realizing masked guys appeared.

"Jane." Minho took my arm, but I shook him off. I wouldn't leave Chuck.

"Wake up, Chuck!" I yelled. "You promised, you... we would stay together." I sobbed loudly when Minho grabbed my hand and pulled me away from Chuck.

"No! I can't leave him!" I cried out when Minho dragged me through the hallway. I resisted, kicking with my legs. I didn't want to leave Chuck. It felt like he was the only family I had, and now he was gone. But he couldn't be!

My vision was blurred with tears, but I could see Newt being pulled into a room. I gasped, realizing exactly what was happening.. and jumped after him, sliding through the steel door while Minho still held my hand.. so he got taken with us.