40 - The Boys ✭

Minho's POV

In the morning, I sat down for breakfast on my own, hoping so badly Jane would show up without Newt sometime. She grew so close to him the last days and I was just kind of.. there.

There was no way she liked me more than Newt, in fact, she didn't even like me at all. She hated me!

"Ben. Leave." I snapped, already in a bad mood when the boy, who annoyed me more every day, sat down in front of me.  

"What the shuck do you think you're doing?" Ben whisper-yelled. "Why are you acting so cold toward her, you Slinthead?"

"Obviously she likes Newt and hates me, and I can't be around her and act shuckin' normal, so I'm not making much contact unless she does!"

"Unless she does?" Ben frowned. "You reply dryly to everything she says!"

I sighed, getting more frustrated by the second. "So what? I don't care about your desserts, so just leave, because there she comes. And don't you dare say anything to anyone about this." I threatened through my teeth. Ben grinned and left right before Jane sat down in front of me.

"Hey." She gave me a half smile as she put a strand of her behind her ear, which looked really cute to me.

"Morning." I gave Jane a quick nod and focused on my toast, but felt her eyes burn on me. I had to say something to start a conversation.
"Guess what?"

Jane looked up, still chewing on her food. "What?"

"We have a day off. We have that once a week, so today's that day." I explained, hoping that would make her happier than she looked.
"And you shouldn't be talking with a full mouth."
I couldn't help to add that.

Jane scoffed. "Aah, have you seen how you guys eat? Like shuckin' animals! Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I can't eat like that." She protested.

Another thing I liked about Jane. Once it came to differences between boys and girls, she immediately stood up for herself, and as she should.

"But a day off sounds good." Jane nodded in satisfaction.

I wanted to reply, but then noticed her arms that were full of band-aids. "What happened?"

Jane inspected her own arms. "A Griever pushed me onto the ground." She sighed.

My eyes opened wide as I tensed up at the thought of Jane, alone in the maze with a Griever. "When did that happen?"

"Yesterday."

"And you didn't tell me?" I blurted out, hoping it didn't sound too mean. Why didn't she tell me? Or how come I didn't even notice it the previous day?

"It's not like you asked." Jane's face expression darkened, which made me nervous, considering if I did something wrong. "But it's fine." She added.

We both started eating again, Jane lost in her own thoughts like usual. I admired the way she would just stare at something for a long time, twirling her hair around her finger, but not in the kind of way some girls wanted to impress boys or act cute, Just a nice habit she had, but one thing bothered me. There was a piece of bread on her lips. Don't ask why I was looking at her lips, because I wasn't. It's just very obvious when someone has something on their lips.. of course.

"You got a little.." I trailed off when Jane blinked a few times, probably shaking out of her thoughts. "On your lips." I motioned at my own ones.

Jane's cheeks turned red as she tried to wipe it away, but missed the exact spot.

"Wait." I held out my arm and gently got the food off her lip with my thumb before doing something I would normally never do, just for Jane. I licked the crumb off my thumb, eating it myself.