67 - Attack

"Has he said anything?" Thomas asked when we all arrived at the Med Hut.

"No." Clint shook his head.

"Alby, are you all right?" Newt bent down in front of the poor boy. Our leader sat there, on the bed, looking down with some tears on his cheeks.

"Hey, Alby." Thomas bent down in front of him too. "Alby, we might have just found a way out of the maze. Do you hear me?"

I joined in too, feeling so bad for our leader. He didn't deserve it. "We could be getting out of here."

Alby shook his head. "We can't. We can't leave. They won't let us."

"What are you talking about?" Thomas lowered his voice.

"I remember." Alby cried out.

"What do you remember?" I frowned.

"You." Alby met my eyes. "Why are you doing this?"

My breathing hitched. He knew. He knew it all. "Alby, I-."

"Why did you agree on going here?" Alby whispered, sounding quite threatening.

"I didn't." I swallowed, trying to keep my emotions in control. A few whispers around us were thrown, but I didn't listen.

Alby raised his voice. "Why did you come here?" He screamed.

Clint and Jeff pushed Alby away from me as I quickly got on my feet again, hearing some yells from outside.

"Winston, what's going on?" Newt breathed when the Slicer came in.

"It's the doors. They aren't closing."

Oh, crap. It's my fault. I did this.

Everyone panicked as I stood there, frozen in my place. It was my fault, it kept repeating in my head. But I couldn't just leave Minho and Thomas in the maze like that! This was the consequence.

"Jane!" Newt took my arm and pulled me out of the Med Hut, toward the Doors. I didn't get why we even went there but just followed in silence.

"Chuck, go to the Homestead and start barricading the doors," Thomas ordered. "Winston, you go with him."

"Got it."
The two boys ran away.

Suddenly the ground started to shake and I hoped the Doors were closing, but instead, three more gaps opened. I spun around, staring at them all.

"Jane." Minho grabbed my shoulders. "Go to the Homestead. Now."

I shook my head and pulled a knife out of my waistband. "I want to help."

"No." Minho sighed. "Go with Chuck and the others."

"I won't," I responded.

"Guys?" Thomas yelled when a Griever appeared in between the Doors.

"Go!" Minho and I started running away, holding each other's hands.

"Minho! Where's Newt?" I yelled as we got into some cornfields.

"I don't know!" Minho replied, pulling me down on the ground.

My worry got worse by the second. What if they sent the Grievers to kill Newt?

"Hey. He'll be fine, Shebean." Minho gave me a nod. Then everything fell silent, everyone anxiously waiting for something to happen. And it did.

Someone screamed when a Griever put one of its legs around them.

"Zart!" Thomas yelled, trying to grab the boy, but he was too late. Zart was gone, grabbed by the Griever.

I let out a yelp in pity.
"We have to go to the Homestead!" Thomas commanded, getting up from his place.