4 - Morning

"Wake up, you two!" Someone screamed. Tiredly I opened my eyes and saw Minho's face hanging above me. "You look like a disabled chicken when you sleep, Shebean!"

"Your face isn't exactly what I wished to see when I woke up either!" I argued back. I wasn't going to let Minho's stupid comments slide.

"What do you mean? My face is the perfection of the Glade, babydoll." Minho grinned annoyingly.

"Yeah, sure. Especially when you grin like that, ugly face. Now, do not ever call me that again." I threatened as I got up.

"Better wake up your cute little friend before I throw a bucket of water over him," Minho replied, already walking away.

"Sounds like you forgot your morning coffee!" I yelled back.

"I don't need coffee to be this awesome, Shebean!"

~

Great start of my morning, I have to say. After I woke Chuck up before Minho actually threw water off the poor kid's head, we got some breakfast from the Cook Frypan.

I slammed my plate down on Newt and Minho their table. Though I didn't really like Minho, I had no one else to join and I didn't feel like sitting with Chuck on my own. Chuck sat next to me and immediately started bickering with Minho.

I looked down and started eating, but then the idea of the previous day popped up in my mind. Being a Runner. "So, Newt?" I started. The blonde boy looked at me with his beaut- with his brown eyes.
"What's your job?" I wondered. Maybe he was a Runner and could convince Minho easier than me.

"Second-in-command," Newt responded before taking a bite of his food. "Why?" He looked up through his eyelashes. I didn't expect him to have such an important role and to be honest, it surprised me.

"Just wondering." I shrugged and turned to Minho. "Mean- Minho?" I quickly corrected before the boy got mad at me. "You're the Keeper of the Runners, right?"

"Do you ever stop asking questions?" Minho sighed, but then a satisfied smile appeared on his face. "But yes, I'm the Keeper." He proudly said, moving his arms over each other, which caused his strong biceps to appear again. For a second I was taken back by it, but quickly recovered.

"Since you're the Keeper and Newt is the Second-in-command," I carefully said. "Does that mean y'all get to decide my job?"

"Not just us. All the Keepers." Newt replied. "But we decide it too, yes. Today you start the jobs, by the way. Slicers are first, Greenie."

"What else do I try?" I questioned, slowly pushing to the subject Runners. It wasn't just the voice in my head telling me to be a Runner, but I actually wanted to be one myself. It seemed like a pretty fun job and less boring than other ones.

"Tonight you'll make dinner with Fry, after working with the Slicers. Tomorrow Track-Hoes and Med-Jacks, the day after that Building. You don't have to try out for the others." Newt explained.

"What about Runners?"

Newt spun his head so fast, I thought he might break his neck. "Greenies don't try out for Runners."

"Do I get to be one? How do I turn into one?" I blurted out. Newt's face darkened even more.

"You don't get to be one, Jane." Newt sternly said before focusing on his food again.

"Protective boyfriend." Minho chuckled under his breath. Newt slapped the back of his head but didn't argue.

"Is it because I'm a girl? Is that the reason I can't be a Runner?" I kept asking. I had to know it.

"No Greenie gets to try running."

"How did Minho turn into a Runner then? And what about the others?"

"I'm born to be a Runner and only used my looks to convince Newt. You should try the same, oh wait, you can't because you're ugly as shuck!" Minho dramatically said.

A bit taken by Minho's sudden comment, I stared at him and didn't have any comebacks left. "Minho, that was a little too mean, idiot." Newt said once he saw my face.

Minho shrugged it off. I didn't take it too seriously. It was just a joke. Hopefully...

"I think Jane is very beautiful." Chuck blurted out before his whole face turned red. I gave the kid a big smile and felt genuinely fluttered.

"He's right," Newt added.

"I know I'm right." Minho grinned.

"I'm talking about Chuck, not you, bloody shuckface." Newt snapped. Surprised by Newt's comment my face flushed into a deep red. Did he literally just say he found me beautiful out loud?

"Thank you." I smiled lightly at Newt and Chuck. "What do I look like actually?"

"Brown hair with a few strands of blonde, full eyebrows and full lips. Not bad." Newt immediately replied, maybe a little too fast.
I nodded in response and started eating.
"You'll go with Winston today. He's the Keeper of the Slicer and will pick you up soon."

~

A/N: Do you like it so far? Sorry this is so short!