Chapter 22 Everett

I watched as Alex raced towards Seth with his knife ready. I didn't know where they had gotten the knives, and didn't really believe they would use them, but they sure looked like they would. Apparently, coming to save me had changed them.

Seth stood next to Ravena, at the ready. He was standing slightly in front of her, as if ready to protect her. But I knew she could protect herself just as well. She was a very skilled spellcaster. I had learned a lot about all these people during my time being held hostage. Kye joined Alex, going for Ravena.

As they began fighting, I looked over at everybody else. Sky, and a girl I thought was named Mara, were fighting Azel. They didn't really seem to be fighting, more of just talking. I knew Mara was Azel's brother, so they probably didn't want to fight. Azel seemed ready to if needed though. I really hoped Sky was okay.

Jax was over by Evelyn, but they weren't fighting. They were just standing there talking. I knew that Jax liked Evelyn, and was hopefully mostly on our side. He had been really nice to me the whole time and wasn't very loyal to Shadow.

There was a small, baby fox sitting by Evelyn's leg. I wondered why there was a fox and why nobody was concerned about it, but it was very cute. I wanted to pet it.

Soon, Evelyn and Jax started fighting, but neither of them seemed to be trying very hard. It seemed like they were faking it, and still talking. Evelyn seemed to be trying to convince Jax of something or to do something. Hopefully to join our side for real. And I really hoped she could convince him. He was a very strong fighter and good person and would be helpful on our side.

Luna was over by Shadow, and they were talking as well. Luna seemed to be trying to negotiate, but it wasn't going well. Occasionally, one of them would shoot a spell at the other.

Everybody seemed to be distracted with what they were doing, while I just sat here. In my uncomfortable cage. I knew there was no way to escape on my own, I'd already tried. Many times. You needed a key, which every member of Shadow's party had.

I really hoped one of them would think to come help me escape soon. But I also knew that they were busy fighting, and had to find a chance to get away for a minute first. Besides, at least in here they couldn't hurt me.

I focused my attention back to Alex and Kye, who were still fighting Seth and Ravena. Alex was fighting Seth, with hand-to-hand combat. Seth seemed to be winning, but Alex was actually doing decently. I wondered how and when he had learned to fight.

Kye was focused on Ravena. He seemed to be beating her, which was really surprising. As I watched, Ravena began using spells against them, so Alex focused on Ravena, since he could fight back with magic. I saw Seth fire one spell, but he seemed to like hand-to-hand combat more.

It was hard to figure out what they were doing, and I wanted to make sure everyone else was okay too, so I looked over to where Sky was fighting with Mara against Azel. They were fighting with hand-to-hand combat as well, but not nearly as well. Azel was definitely winning, but he didn't seem to be trying very hard. He didn't look like he wanted to hurt his sister. They were closest to me, and I could hear what they were saying decently well.

"Why won't you join our side? They treat people so much better than Shadow," Mara asked exasperatedly.

"You know why," Azel said, as he made a slight stabbing motion towards her which she blocked easily.

"Azel, I promise it's worth switching. And I know you don't want to hurt me, just like I don't want to hurt you."

"You're right, I don't. But if that's what it takes to protect you, then I will. You know Shadow's consequences, and even if they do rescue their brother, there's no way they will defeat Shadow. And there will be consequences for those who switch sides. I won't be one of them. And I hope you aren't either." They continued fighting. Mara was still trying to convince him, but Azel kept refusing.

I looked over to Evelyn and Jax. They seemed to be fighting, but not trying at all. Especially Jax. I could tell they were talking, but it was hard to make out what they were saying. I finally made out a few sentences.

"You should just officially betray Shadow. I mean you've already basically on our side."

"You know I can't do that, it's better for me to be on the inside," Jax protested. He slowly pretended to try to cut her with his knife, but missed without her even moving.

"Jax, please? For me?"

Jax sighed, "This is a bad idea."

I couldn't make out what they were saying anymore, so I turned to Luna and Shadow. They were mostly casting spells at each other, and blocking them. Luna was rapidly firing questions at Shadow, but Shadow hardly ever answered. I couldn't hear what Luna was saying, but I could tell she was upset that Shadow wasn't answering, getting more and more frustrated by the second. I knew she would tire out soon. Before Shadow would. Her endurance with casting spells wasn't the greatest, and Shadow's was. At least from what I'd heard from Jax.

I looked over to where Jax and Evelyn seemed to have come to some kind of conclusion, no longer fighting. They were walking together over to where Kye and Alex were still fighting Seth and Ravena. I could hear them talking if I listened hard enough.

"Guys, we came to help!" Evelyn called to them. Alex and Kye glanced over. Alex went back to fighting before Seth could hurt him, but Kye glared at Jax. Evelyn ran over and started helping Kye fight against Ravena, but as soon as she was there, Kye left and ran over to Jax.

"Why are you here?" he asked angrily, lunging at him with his knife.

"Uhh, because I'm joining your side?" Jax told him, easily dodging him. He continued to dodge and block Kye without actually fighting back. "Kye, stop! I'm trying to help you guys."

"Kye!" Evelyn yelled, glancing around at them. "I convinced him to join our side! Alex and I need some help over here!"

Kye sighed in frustration, "I still don't like this."

"You don't have to like it. But focus on the enemy please. For me."

"Fine. For you." Kye and Jax joined Alex and Evelyn in fighting Seth and Ravena.

After a little bit, Jax went over to Evelyn and told her something I couldn't hear. He left them and started running towards me. I was a little hesitant, but I trusted Jax. I'd lived in the same hideout as him for a little while now, and he'd been nice to me the entire time.

Maybe he was coming to free me! I tried not to get my hopes up in case he wasn't able to, or was coming for some other reason. Finally, after what seemed like ages, but was actually only a few seconds, he reached my cage.

"Hey Everett," he smiled at me, "I can finally free you." He started searching for something in his cloak. "I have the key here somewhere. When I let you out, you need to run over to those trees and hide." He stopped searching to point at a cluster of trees, not very far away. "Oh, here it is!" He pulled out a key, and unlocked the door after glancing around.

As soon as the door swung open, I ran out, hugged him quickly as a thanks, and ran towards the forest. It felt so nice to have real human contact after so many days in there completely alone.

Finally, I made it to the trees, and after hiding in the middle of some, crouching behind a bush, I sat and listened, hoping to hear something. All I could hear was the clashing of knives, and spells flying through the air. I wanted to look, but Jax had told me to hide, and I didn't want anyone to know where I went. I knew he was right, but it was so frustrating and worrying to have no idea what was happening.

There was nothing new happening for what seemed like forever. My body hurt from staying still for so long, but I didn't want to move and attract attention to myself.

Then, out of the quiet, I heard Evelyn scream.