Chapter 4 Evelyn

After I went to see where Luna was, I decided to check on Everett and Sky. Everett was playing in the living room with some of his toys, so I let him be. Sky was in our room, watching a show on her phone.

"Sky, do you have homework?"

"Yes."

"What is it?"

"Spelling, writing, and math."

"And you haven't even started?" I scolded her.

"No."

"Why?"

"Because I didn't want to," she answered like it was obvious. I rolled my eyes. Sometimes I wondered if Sky and Luna were blood-related.

"Do you think Luna, Alex, and I want to?"

"Yes," she said, matter of factly.

"No, we don't, but we still have to do it."

"But didn't Luna and Alex just work on homework all day? So they must think it's fun."

"No, they just had that much to do. So they were smart and decided to do it today so they wouldn't have to do it tomorrow. That way we can maybe do something fun tomorrow."

"Fine," she answered with a disbelieving look on her face. "But it isn't due until Monday."

"So?"

"So I didn't want to do it, and it isn't due till Monday. It's only Saturday."

"Fine," I sighed, "Do you need help?"

"Yeah. I have to practice spelling, write a page about a prompt, and do this math worksheet." She held up a math worksheet with basic 1-digit and a few 2-digit +1-digit addition problems. Some problems were 4+3=_ and 6+2=_.

"Okay, I think we should do the spelling and math tonight, and the writing tomorrow. I can help you in the morning when you wake up."

"Okay."

We started on her spelling first. I ripped a piece of paper out of one of my notebooks and handed that and a pencil to her.

"Should I quiz you or what?"

"I don't care. Quiz me I guess."

"Alright." She wrote the numbers 1-10 down the paper.

"Okay, number one is cat." She wrote down 'c-a-t'.

"Good job, number two is dog." So she wrote down 'd-o-g'.

"Three is come." She wrote down 'c-o-m-e'.

"Four is house." She got this one wrong. She wrote 'h-o-w-s-e'

"Okay, five is kind." So she wrote 'k-i-n-d'.

"Number six is child." Since she didn't know how to spell it she wrote, 'c-i-l-e-d'.

"Seven is ten." And she wrote, 't-e-n'.

"Next is father." She wrote 'f-a-t-h-a-r'

"Number nine is family." So she guessed 'f-a-m-i-l-y'. I could tell she guessed because she wrote it pretty slowly and erased some things, but she ended up getting it right.

"And lastly is friend." She wrote 'f-r-i-e-n-d'.

"Okay, good job. Let me check it." She handed me the paper, checked it one more time, and said, "You got three wrong."

"Which ones?"

"House, child, and father."

"How do you spell them?"