Startled, her little brother scrambled to follow after her.

🐺

Oliver stared at the ceiling, lying sprawled out on his bed, his right arm used as a pillow beneath his head. His eyebrows were furrowed deep in thought as he ran his free hand through the golden retriever puppy's thick fur. The dog licked his hand, yawning tiredly from her place on the Pérez boy's lap.

Together with Gabriela, Oliver had already named the puppy, despite not knowing if she had a home or not. The younger siblings thought it was cruel to refer to the dog as 'the dog' when speaking of her. So with the approval of Sofía, they had named her Charlotte, or Lottie for short.

Lottie wagered her tail when the door opened, Gabriela poking her head through the door with a tired look on her face. Oliver smirked as he noticed her state, propping himself up on his elbows to look at her properly.

"What the hell happened to you?" he asked, his little sister giving him a very unamused look. She sighed, leaning against the door frame and running a hand through her messy hair, glancing at her brother.

"Can I hang out in here with you and Lottie? I just need a break from reality right now." At her words, Oliver nodded rapidly, eyebrows furrowing together in concern. He patted the space next to him on the bed, Gabriela smiling softly at him.

"Of course! Just close the door after you," he told her, sitting up properly, leaning against the headboard. Lottie stood up and stretched her limbs, waiting patiently for Gabriela to sit down next to her brother before she squished herself in between them, head resting in the youngest lap.

Gabriela snickered, shaking her head in amusement at the dog as she stroked her head softly, leaning her head against Oliver's shoulder. "Oh, Lottie. How come you got to be so cute?" her voice changed drastically, her brother giving her a weird look as she cooed at the dog in a so-called "dog voice".

"Oookay." Oliver said, raising his eyebrows as he dragged out the 'O' further than necessary. He glanced at his sister, nudging her softly. "You wanna talk about why you look like you've just thrown yourself off a building?" he asked, making Gabriela snort, her fingers fiddling with the bandage on her arm.

She shoved his shoulder playfully with a small smile on her lips. "It's just school." she dismissed his question, continuing when Oliver gave her a look. "My art teacher is a bitch." her brother snorted at her words. "She's this really old lady, probably like a hundred or something, and she just won't stop criticizing my work. Everywhere I turn I can just hear her annoying voice. "No, not like that Gabriela.""This is why you won't get into CalArts." It's so nerve-wracking."

Oliver gave her a sympathetic smile, ruffling her hair and earning himself a slap on the back of his head. "Don't listen to her, Gabbi. You draw better than anyone I've ever seen, okay? CalArts would be glad to have you."

Gabriela smiled. "Thanks." A mischievous glance appeared in her eyes, glancing at her brother with a smirk on her face. "Now, where are you planning to go to college again? TUFHS?" Oliver furrowed his eyebrows.

"What?"

She grinned. "Yeah. The University of Failed High Schoolers. I heard the acceptance rate was very low. Even you might have a shot!" Without another word, she was shoved off the bed.

🐺

Seated in the backseat of the car, Gabriela kept her arms crossed over her chest, her eyebrows knit together as she scowled. "I can't believe you're making me go to this thing," she muttered, glaring at the back of Sofía's head. "You never make Oliver come to any of my art shows."