Chapter 33: Grimmore, the Twilight City, Part Two

Start from the beginning

Sasha, being the tallest, moved her head as if it were on a swivel, nervously scanning for any signs of danger. But the First Vao was nowhere to be seen. She could see Ruby talking to a smiling man with yellow eyes, but they were too far away from her to hear. If she still had both ears, she might've picked up on the conversation. She continued looking, until she stopped dead in her tracks, her muscles tensing.

Salem was the second tallest, standing on her toes to follow Sasha's gaze. A chill ran down her spine, her jaw falling slightly agape in horror.

In the center of town was a well filled with a black, bubbling liquid. The Blood; the tar-like, rancid substance that was responsible for corrupting her Soul and twisting the First Vao into what he was today. It was big enough to fit eight people inside, the liquid calm and still.

She was pried from her thoughts when a low rumble came from outside one of the iron gates leading out of the town square, the Cultists erupting in cheer. The abomination rounded the corner, thin and bony legs shaking as it dragged the heavy wagon behind it, unnatural breathing escaping an equine-like mouth.

"Th... That looks l-like the thing i-in Aldia," Pyrrha stammered quietly. Vao averted his gaze, remembering his mother. Yin and Salem stared at the creature, fear grasping their hearts.

Was it once a human too? Or possibly a horse, like its appearance suggested? As the wagon came into view, they could make out five figures. Yin's heart began to race, a scream nearly erupting from the pit of his stomach.

Summer was bound and gagged, her hands tied behind her back. She had grown noticeably thin; her ribs poked through her clothes, the bumps of her spine visible on her back. Her silver eyes flitted over the Cultists, tears falling down her cheeks. He felt his heart break. He had never seen his mother so scared in his life. He couldn't blame her; if he was trapped in a town full of murderous psychopaths, he knew he'd cry too.

At her side was a woman with one large eye instead of two, her lips curled into a small, polite smile as she waved to the Cultists. From the maid uniform she wore, they knew she was Mono Chroma, the leader of the Cult. She stood with a sense of power and authority, an air of elegance and perfection surrounding her. And on her opposite side from where Summer sat was a large, steel cage. The inside was far too dark to see the insides, and on top were three fairies; Jasper, Sapphire, and Tourmaline Primary.

The fairies weren't arguing, standing on top of the metal cage waving their arms. Sapphire was practically jumping, something clutched in her hands.

"I-is... Is that a fucking chainsaw?" Vao stammered. Saril scooted next to him, hunkering down to whisper to the adventurers.

"Yep! I'm surprised you know what a chainsaw is though," she giggled. "Lord Vao built their weapons! For the Cultists who don't have claws or magic, he builds weapons using these weird, pretty rocks. He calls them Dust, I think."

It dawned on Salem, Ozpin, and Team FRSB like a bat to the face. The First Yin had warned them that the First Vao had been taking Dust. But it wasn't for him. They really wished it was for him.

The First Vao was giving the Cult weapons, advancing them at an alarming rate. They had electricity, running water, and now even Dust weaponry. With that level of firepower, they could easily level a small city.

"Fluffy croissant," Saril giggled nonsensically.

Mono turned to Sapphire, raising a hand and motioning it towards the fairy. They could hear Sapphire's bell-like laughter as she gripped the pull-chain to her weapon, giving it a sharp tug.

Rrrrrm...

Rrrm.

Rrrrrrrrm... Rrrrrrrrrrm...