"I make it my purpose to learn about all the worthy people near me, prosecutor." He took a careful sip of his wine, his fox eyes watching her with some hidden agenda. "I used to follow the Yeongsan Murder trials religiously. The trials you led were very impressive. I was such a fan."

Now that was a praise Heiran couldn't help but feel elevated at. There were far few people who could get past the detail of her visual attraction to recognize that she had actual talent. It was nice to know that Jungkook's popularity had at least one positive effect on her.

"When I heard that you were here attending dear old Moon's party, I had to come say hello. And voila! Here I am. I must say the pictures don't do you justice."

"I'm flattered." Heiran conceded with a slow smile. If she had any suspicion about his intentions, they disappeared at once. Well, the majority of it at least. "How did you acquaint yourself with Chief Moon? I was shocked when I realized even the Mayor was coming to his retirement party."

"How do I know Moon?" Mayor Choi repeated the question with a guarded smile, rubbing his finger over his lips in what was probably meant to be a distracting manner. The other ladies might have fallen for it but she possibly couldn't bring herself to feel anything. Not when Jungkook was the only one for whom her stupid heart felt anything at all. "Well. It's a long tale and our time is too short." The Mayor informed regretfully, "So let me ask you a question in return. Why were you watching me for the last fifteen minutes straight?"

She knew he had caught on. Heiran didn't miss the way he had avoided answering her question either. Classic redirection tactic. However, Mayor Choi wasn't the only one who knew how to avoid telling the truth. "I heard that you were quite charming, Mr. Mayor. I was only trying to figure out just how charming you were."

She sighed innocently, sweeping her hair over her shoulder to expose her neck.

"Ah, is that so?" His eyes momentarily flickered down before it was back on her face in a split second, blinking in surprise that he had let himself slip up. Heiran hid a wry smirk. Men will always be men.

"It's better to experience it first-hand then, right?" He quickly recovered. Heiran sensed something in his demeanor change. He couldn't have been pleased to discover that she could do exactly what he was doing much better than him and without breaking a sweat. It was time Mayor Choi learned charming others wasn't such a unique talent.

It was at that precise moment Heiran caught the man she had meant to dodge tonight, walking into the salon from the atrium doorway with a look of extreme guilt and disappointment, in her peripherals. Jungkook looked around at the court with a determined expression, possibly searching for her. Heiran turned her attention back to the Mayor before he found her.

"Yes, it is." She flashed him a shiny beam, a petty plan forming in her mind. "Care to show me?"

"I would love to..." Mayor Choi trailed off, a little taken aback by her sudden enthusiasm. "If it won't be a problem, that is. I heard rumors that you were involved with Mr. Silent Wolf. Wouldn't I be getting in the way?"

"What rumors?" Heiran chuckled darkly. She spied Jungkook watching her exchange with the Mayor from across the room in her periphery. So he had found her after all. Jungkook looked regretful enough about his action but that won't cut it. He had hurt her pride. He had hurt her. And Heiran always paid back her debts tenfold. With a slight turn of her head, she looked right at him and declared out loud.

"You're fine. I have nothing to do with him."

* * *

The security room of Chief Moon's mansion was dark, lit only by the bluish hue of surveillance camera footage playing on the many computer screens. It had taken Heiran considerable effort and creative storytelling about some stolen purse to let the head of the security guard do her a favor and pull up the atrium footage from two hours prior. Getting rid of him to watch the footage alone was a harder feat but Heiran was eventually able to accomplish it.

The timer on the footage read nine-thirty. Heiran watched patiently, waiting for what she knew would happen, tapping a finger against her piercing as she lounged on the revolving chair before the computer. Soon Jungkook's image appeared by the atrium door in the footage, looking around in a hurry with the most desperate look in his eyes Heiran had ever seen, ten seconds before Heiran herself had stopped him. She rewound the footage backward and hit play, trying to figure out who it was that he had seen that made him fall apart. And that was when she saw it. The white dress.

Heiran paused the screen and zoomed in on the figure, a feeling of apprehension on her face. As the face of the familiar figure became clearer, Heiran sighed, narrowing her eyes at the woman's attire and her overall get-up. Well, this was indeed a surprise.

"What are you doing here, Kim Saerom?" She murmured to herself.

Something moved in the shadows of the empty security room. Heiran rose from the chair as she exited the screen of her computer. There was complete silence, but she knew better than to trust it. Inhaling a deep breath, she called out to the darkness.

"Who are you? And why are you following me?"

A/n: A short quick update. This section was supposed to go with the previous chapter but the chapter was getting too long so I had to break it down.

How are we feeling about Mayor Choi Mincheol?